IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a road trip to CA, figured I'd hit the Smith River on the way back. Looks like a quite a few holes between hwy 199 and hwy 101. I'll also be going up 199 to Grants Pass. Seem there at lots of holes all along that travel. Any particular hole I should hit on the way home? Might plan to spend the night and give the river a good look see. Would like to about your bank experiences on the Smith, thanks.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Nice link there R Bob!
Thumbs up!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I went swimming at Ruby Park in January against my will. There are deceptively big slick rocks in the Smith. It's not a river to be taken lightly. Yeah there are all those access points,but reality will set in once you start traipsing around if you are banking it. It's one of the prettiest places on earth,and there are fish,as well as every drift boat from 150 miles in either direction it seems.

Big water that clears faster than any other river in California with fish that see tremendous pressure. Sounds like a good time to me !

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live on the Smith. We are lucky that so much of the river is public access and accessible from the road. If you are traveling 199 and want to bank fish, I would stay above the forks in Hiouchi and either fish the South Fork or Middle Fork with conventional gear. Of course, fishing in the Jed Smith Campground in the old growth redwoods is a wonderful experience but you will likely share it with many drift boats. Water levels in the Smith rise and fall fairly quickly so holes/runs that have prime holding areas one day may not be worth fishing the next. One of my best strategies in is to hole hop from above the Gorge up to Patrick's Creek. Under the current flow levels there should be some great fish holding water between Hiouchi and Gasquet. Fish a spot and move. It is not uncommon to stop at 10 spots in a day. There seems to be less pressure upstream of Gasquet, with a lot of it focused up towards Patrick's Creek, which is where the MF closes to fishing. Steelhead seem to be a little harder to come by this year. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live on the Smith. We are lucky that so much of the river is public access and accessible from the road. If you are traveling 199 and want to bank fish, I would stay above the forks in Hiouchi and either fish the South Fork or Middle Fork with conventional gear. Of course, fishing in the Jed Smith Campground in the old growth redwoods is a wonderful experience but you will likely share it with many drift boats. Water levels in the Smith rise and fall fairly quickly so holes/runs that have prime holding areas one day may not be worth fishing the next. One of my best strategies in is to hole hop from above the Gorge up to Patrick's Creek. Under the current flow levels there should be some great fish holding water between Hiouchi and Gasquet. Fish a spot and move. It is not uncommon to stop at 10 spots in a day. There seems to be less pressure upstream of Gasquet, with a lot of it focused up towards Patrick's Creek, which is where the MF closes to fishing. Steelhead seem to be a little harder to come by this year. Good luck!
Just the info I was looking for, thanks! I've got about 100 holes marked so far on my on X, thanks again!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've never fished the Smith but it looks like probably the best bank access beautiful River I've ever seen

·
Registered
4 Posts
good spots are
boyscout island down below bridge
mill creek area across from park JS
Ruby park access

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just got back from a trip there. Great river. Found a few fish. If you are a bankie better be able to put in work! Unless you go to the plunking bar! We found a couple but we had to work for them. I played guide all weekend for my friends and their 2 boys,who both got fish. It's a beautiful area.

There was a rock slide below crescent city on 101. I guess the road opened yesterday morning, we elected to drove south on I 5

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back from a trip there. Great river. Found a few fish. If you are a bankie better be able to put in work! Unless you go to the plunking bar! We found a couple but we had to work for them. I played guide all weekend for my friends and their 2 boys,who both got fish. It's a beautiful area.

There was a rock slide below crescent city on 101. I guess the road opened yesterday morning, we elected to drove south on I 5
It showed closed this morning on my apple maps, so I had to go up 5 from Monte Rio, what a pain. So I stayed down in the Russian River area and taught my brother how to cast, got some fishing in, no fish. Smith River will have to be another trip.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It showed closed this morning on my apple maps, so I had to go up 5 from Monte Rio, what a pain. So I stayed down in the Russian River area and taught my brother how to cast, got some fishing in, no fish. Smith River will have to be another trip.
Bummer! Yeah that is a major drag,and it's a long haul up to the smith as it is from the bay area. I'm in Monterey,which is even worse.

The Russian hasn't treated me well of late. I fished near Healdsburg and had to leave due to all the ******* homeless camps and their trash everywhere. Didn't want my car broken into. They need a safe space to camp though,so what can ya do???(sarcasm)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Bummer! Yeah that is a major drag,and it's a long haul up to the smith as it is from the bay area. I'm in Monterey,which is even worse.

The Russian hasn't treated me well of late. I fished near Healdsburg and had to leave due to all the *** homeless camps and their trash everywhere. Didn't want my car broken into. They need a safe space to camp though,so what can ya do???(sarcasm)
Huh. T weaker is censored here. Ok I will re phrase. Derelict deadbead drug addict meth head riverside homeless encampments for a more technical term,ala "well,those poor homeless people have no where to go". It's getting worse. I digress.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts