IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so whats the deal on smelt?is there a run every year?what rivers get the most?what time of the year is the run?best way to keep smelt for long periods of time?i went smelt dipping for the first time a few years ago on the sandy and had a blast.havent heard of a run since.is that a fluke or like everything else,its a washington river thing?i just used my last bag this past weekend.

· Registered
471 Posts
It's been a bad year for smelt, there was a tiny little itty bitty run in the cowlitz this year, but everyone expected a real run that never happened, apparently it was caused by something, or some condition, water temerature ect. out in the ocean because no one & no rivers really got a run this year, so when ya get em, get em sealed with one of those vacume sealers & make em last.

· Registered
471 Posts
they used to run every year, some years better then otheres, this was a weird year though, I'm no expert, I'm just a big smelt user for sturgeon fishing, maybe timeoff or kalamantor can help with more info, they live up there in the heart of smelt country

· Registered
5,115 Posts
Some people will disagree with this, but for storage I have had good luck using quart-size ziplock baggies. The key is to leave a little bit of river water in the bag with the smelt, which freezes around the smelt and protects it from freezer burn.

· Registered
1,538 Posts
AnchorManagement: IF (fingers crossed), there is a run on the Cow this year, I will be making nightly trips up there after work. I will gladly pick up anyone along the I-5 corridor to share the ride. I will make an "open seat" post if the run materializes.

fishwolfe: I put them into zip-lock baggies (about a dozen in each bag) right at the river, and put them on ice immediately. Then at home, put the bags into the freezer just long enough to stiffen them up and let the river water ice up. Then, remove them from the baggies and vacuum pack. IMHO this makes the best sturgeon bait around, and will last a long time. This stuff gets bit when nothing else seems to be working. (Keyword when sturgeon fishing: FRESH BAIT)

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the great info!do you need a washington fishing licsense to smelt dip?i would be interested in following or riding along to the cow.guess i'll have to get a vacume sealer.maybe i can use it for a christmas gift for the wife,yeah thats the ticket!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool,im all over it when the time comes.i havent had much luck with any other bait.im still an accidental fisherman out side of sturgeon fishing.hopefully i can get a salmon next year with all the great info and help on ifish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.