IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are many others out there like me. A small business owner making a decent living and doing the right things. Giving your customers the respect and attention they deserve. But are we doing enough?

It can be hard to compete with some of the larger companies even when you are offering a superior product or service. Marketing costs can be prohibitive for many. And just deciding on how to advertise can be a dilema in itself.

In my business I have been amazed at the responses to what I charge. I charge less than what has previously been paid but still I am very satisfied with the profit margin. Maybe it is due to low overhead costs. I work from home/cell phone much of the time.

Anyway, it would be nice to meet with other small business owners.

Is anyone interested in getting together for a brainstorming session on how to work together and help each other? Collaborative marketing? Etc... I would really like to meet other Ifish small business owners to see what they do and how we could potentially work together.

Jay Perkins

· Registered
4,953 Posts
I too own a small business, I think our businesses are too different to be useful in a collaborative nature. I'll go fishing with you though.
I have to agree with that, I will see or look at other businesses and just be stumped on how they can profit :crazy: :crazy: I know they do, but I have a real hard time with things like a donut shop..... :shrug: I just can't figure it out :laugh: The exchange of information can be helpfull, but I think the businesses need to be relatively the same in the services or product sold to be helpfull....thats just my :twocents:

So when did you want to go fishing ? :cheers: :laugh: I can go anytime I can get away from this ball and chain I open up everyday :smirk:

· Registered
4,074 Posts
I got a boat and I usually start sturgeon fishing up at Hood River after the first of the year. If you want to do that, I'll make an open seat for you. If you know of a local bite going on, lets go.

· Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Irish Penant. I would like to take you up on the offer to go fishing. I too have a boat but it is a Mastercraft X-2 and is not a very good fishing boat. I wakeboard so the boat I have allows me to pursue that hobby. Hence my name bank fisherman, I have chosen my path.

I'm ready to go. When do we launch? I'll pay for gas.

As for businesses being too different and not compatible.

Whatever service you do for a client is just one of many services needed. I have gotten work because a general contractor brought me in to do a state of the art network in a multi million dollar home. Digging ditches leads to technology. Everything is intertwined.

Irish Penant. I would like to take you up on that offer to go fishing. When and where? I'll be there.

Peace

· Registered
4,074 Posts
I'll be happy to take you, I have a NW Jet and its rigged up for fishing. It's a tease,my business is home based and I'll read the fishing board and see all the good action thats going on and look out and see my boat and think to myself "life was so simple when I was working for the man, I use to have time to fish". I do remember all the good fishing that was done in my boat and I know that it will happen again. Gotta keep the dream alive. Anyways the next time will be after the first of the year and the where is hood river and the fish is sturgeon. It will be cool to fish with other SB guys.

· Registered
5,088 Posts
I hear ya,when I worked for the man I fished every day I could,holidays off,7 sick days a year,7 free days a year,three weeks vac a year. now I am the boss it sucks.But hopfully better times to come :cheers: Plus I dont think I could work for anyone now.any of you have a retail store of any kind.

· Registered
5,177 Posts
I am starting a new business and it is kind of scary getting started. I have always worked for the man so the paperwork and licensing is like a maze for me it seems like I take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I hope i leave myself enough time to fish.
Mike

· Registered
411 Posts
Gundog-

I'm two years into my own business. There is still not a week that I don't wonder -what in the world have I done? I'm finally sleeping better, although the debt is piled high. I've never been more afraid and more fulfilled. I'm not sure I can go back to working for someone else either.

There is always more to do, when you own your own business. Its hard to create boundaries so you can have a personal life, or go fishing. Somedays though, the right thing to do is hang up that sign "Gone fishing" and go. Everything is better that day and the day after.

Its definitely not the money that keeps us in small business. Its getting to work with people the way that we want. Having pride in what you do. And dangit if I can manage to make a living doing that, its good enough.

Let us know when the small business lunch is.

Heather

· Registered
694 Posts
I'm 100% with all of you small business owners,

My wife and I both have our own businesses,
Me I'm a Real estate broker and my wife and I own a staffing agency.(that's hers)
We are always willing to get together and talk w/ other business owners to brainstorm.

Another thing that my wife has become a part of is LETIP
It has helped tremendously with getting her name out to different sectors of the market. She has a very loyal client base but it's always better to expand that.

Sometimes we do wish we had some of the security we at our former jobs. Both basically commission only.
I think really only for the benefts packages.

That's another thing I would ask small business owners,
I don't think there is a way, but if any of you know please advise.
Can a large group of small business owners get together pool their employees and themselves and acquire medical insurance at a discounted rate instead of what most of us pay right now? (sure is expensive for a family of 5)

Thanks and if we can be of any help to any of you business wise, and if someone would like to set something up to get together and have a monthly or quarterly meeting we would be interested.

Brian Canini :grin:

· Registered
6,707 Posts
I been at it for 15 years things dont seem so small any more. :cool: I love slaming my big competitors. Their shop time is at about $300 hr with a $400 minumum order and their running 6-7weeks lead time :laugh: They get the mondo orders and left the small stuff to us. What they failed to understand(my corprate ex-bosses)was that doing the small stuff and getting jobs done when the customer needs it rather than at your conveince ,over time you earn a ton of good will that is very hard for competitors to crack :smash: thats how I market :low price, quick delivery and quality proudct. (my ingnorant proff in collage said you could only have two) :jester:

PS: every one said I would fail-my freinds my family and even my parents. Some times ya have to go againt the grain to cut the wood or plastic in my case.
To answer your question about afforable health insurance for my family of five- a school teacher makes a fine wife :clap: I think it costs us about 20 bucks a month extra. Having one spouse with a normal job helps with kids.

· Registered
3,423 Posts
Just thought I'd toss in my $.02 for what its worth. I spent 20+ years working for a major insurance company, in about a month it will be 3 years since I left and I couldn't be happier. I will say I have workied harder and probably fished a lot less than when I worked for the company but its just so much easier when you work hard for yourself. What I do isn't the funnest job - I do insurance with just my business partner but I'm glad I made the change from large corp to small business owner!
Thanks
Frank

· Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I have secured a meeting location at an office building near highway 217 and 26. The only issue is that I need to be out at 5:00 pm. I was thinking sometime between 3:00 and 5:00. I have access any day during the work week. If anyone is still interested. Send me a PM and I will do my best to coordinate with everyones schedule.

Thanks
Jay Perkins

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.