IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sturgeon Tom and I spent the better part of last week at Tillamook chasing nooks. During the week, we had the pleasure of fishing with ifishers Longhunter, Sea Jypzee, Otilith, and Fall River Guy.

The time to be in Tillamook it turned out was the week before. We heard fishing was red hot up until Tuesday, three days before we got there. Isn't that how it goes? The water temps dropped and fishing was tough (as so many of you know from reading all the other posts!).

I landed a gorgeous 18-20 native Coho which I had to release, and crackered a couple other fish during the week. Turned out to be my most unproductive week in 6 years down there. I'll be back in tidewater in the DB to make up for it!

Tom landed an 18# or so nook and a smaller hatchery coho for the week. The Nook was the successful side of a double we had in the Ghost Hole at high slack one day. I crackered mine... :depressed:

The highlight of the week however, was having Fall River Guy (Brian) visit from the Bend area and fish with us a couple days. The first day fishing with Brian, he had the HOT rod! He picked up a nice 27lb buck just off the north jetty. Then, we fished the last couple hours of flood tide at the Ghost hole and he nailed this beauty.

And here's Brian's result for the day! WOW! You don't see too many limits of fish that look this nice, eh? Way to go Brian, it was an absolute pleasure fishing with you, you're a class act and it was great meeting you.

Crabbing was fun too. We had limited luck the first few days. But then, we switched to squid for bait and did pretty well. Our better day, we got 17 huge crabs. Not bad for only one crab pot. Crab cakes were sure tasty for dinner last night!

[ 10-04-2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: skrimmy ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Nice fish and good deal on the crabs. Beats doing laundry... :grin:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
What nice fish!!! Congrats! :cheers: Sounds like you all had a great time! :dance:

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Boy did I ever have a great time. I want to thank Sturgeon Tom for the invitation to come and fish with him at Tillamook. It was my pleasure to meet Skrimmy as well. Both of these guys are great to fish with and I learned much from these two veterans.

Being a neophyte to Tillamook and a true rookie to fishing “tide water” salmon, I fully invoked my beginners luck rights, and it sure paid off. The one thing I don’t quite understand is why the two times I grabbed the rod after a bite fish were caught. But the other two hits on my rod in which I did not grab the pole (others did), resulted in a cracker job? :wink: But then again, what do I know.

Just took the belly meat off of the smoker yesterday and that is some kind of good. I look forward to fishing with you guys again.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's too funny Brian! Same thing happened when when Tom was at the front of the boat, pants around his knees, relieving himself and his rod buried. Wham, grab the rod, set the hook, hand to Tom with fish throbbing, and cracker....fish off! :laugh: :laugh: (Figured I'd get the first dig before he tells his whopper version of the event!)

Way to go on the fish Brian, it was a hoot fishing with you.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Skrimmy, let me know when you have an open tidewater seat. I am hungry.

Thanks for sharing.....
:dance:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
skrimmy and Sturgeon Tom crackering fish? How could that be? :grin:

Nice fish, FRG! And way to get on 'em boyz!

:cheers:

The fishing didn't get better for us the last few days either...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts