IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have my wife talked into a new sled. The only problem is I know very little about them. I'm looking to buy a 17-19' open style sled. I will mainly run on the Cowlitz,Skagit and Skykomish,which are all pretty big rivers. I will also use it in the Puget Sound and the Straits.

The teqnique we'll use the most is Boon-dogging,which seems the easiest for begginers to figure out. I see an awful lot of Alumaweld Super-Vee's up here and they are my most likely choice.

1. How much power do I really need to fish three guys and gear.? I don't want a slug.

2. How much bottom vee is wanted in an "all around" boat.?

3. What options are "must haves"?

4. How much kicker motor is enough?

I'm sure I'll have more questions,but this will get me started.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Any quality aluminum boat will be satisfactory. Alumaweld, North River, and others all make great boats. Do some research before hand though.

I personally would recommend A and J marine in Portland. I'd say thebuild a better quality boat than the North River or Alumaweld. Not mass produced like the others. Nice custom built boats. He'll build what you want and is competitive. Just because everyone has one, doesn't mean it is the best thing out there. :cool:

If you're going to fish the straits and the rivers, are you going pump or prop??/

For a 19' boat, I'd say a 150hp Yamaha. You could go with the 200hp for that extra kick. Don't go any less then a 135hp. Too much horsepower is never a problem and there can be situations in which you need it. STAY AWAY FROM MERCURY IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT HOME!!! :grin: I know I will get attacked by Mercury Owners, but Yamahas are awesome. It is all in fun and games like the Ford-Chevy debate.

Get a wide bottom like a 6' or better. Nice stability and you'll be able to run shallower in the rivers with less hp. Higher sides are always nice as well. These are just my personal preferences.

As for the kicker, get a high thrust 8 hp Yamaha. YOu will not be disappointed. Go all out and get power start and trim. :grin:

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to get a pump,because I think I'll use it more in rivers than the salt. I have a 25HP Yamaha on my 15' boat right know and it has been a great motor.The only problem is Mercury seems to be on the back of 90% of the sleds out there.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I am not trying to offend anyone that owns a Mercury, but the reason that more people have them is because they are cheaper generally. They work good generally, but I think Yamaha engineering is running on all cylinders in my opinion.

I would still go with a 150hp or better. Extra power does come in handy sometimes.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Sounds like in your area I would go see the guys at Three Rivers Marine. I have a 19ft. Super Vee with a 150hp and a 9.9 Mercury kicker. I love it! Good for boondogging and enough power to get you where you want to go. I can run just about anywhere I want to go even with four people in the boat. Don't go any less than a 150hp on your pump.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Unless you are set on a custom boat with some specific option I would highly recommend looking at used boats. With the un-employment situation, there are a lot of great deals out there right now.

If you are set on a new boat, Willie makes a great sled and they are an ifish sponsor!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Seriously, go to Three Rivers Marine and talk to Dave. Tell him what you are wanting to do and he will show you your boat. Those guys all fish a lot so they know what is needed in a boat. He won't sell you something you don't need. Customer service there is awesome, which is very important in the long run.

No I'm not attatched to them financially. I did buy a boat there and was pleased with the whole process.

Glow

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
There is a V-Sled for sale in the ifish classified ads that would fit you perfectly. I own a 22' V-Sled and the saying "They don't make them like they used to" applies. Look it over. I think Chinookie is selling it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Even though I will be a year or two before I a ready to buy, I have been looking pretty hard at what you are talking about. If I had to make a choice right now, I would go with the open predator. I really like the high sides, weight and what I have heard about it being one of the driest boats in rough/windy conditions due to the bow and chine design.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
really, only buy yamaha, no one else can touch em, my 115jet is almost 14yrs old, and i havent touched it!!!!!!!!!!gas-oil and go for 14 yrs straight!!!!oh, i did put a water pump in it this year......

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Willie Predator or Alumaweld Super Vee are both great choices for open/boondogging boats. If fish the Cowlitz alot, and those are ideal boats.

As for power, max it out, you won't regret it and will realize that you can never have too much power, especially with a full load. Merc and Yamaha are proven choices.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
The big question is what degree V is all round?
In that length 4-6 degree is a good boondogging deadrise, 12 degree would be max. But in the salt 12 degree might be considered min. Thorbuilt Boats in Toledo make sleds specifically for Boondogging, wide bottoms with shallow deadrise.I would visit them and learn about what makes a good boondogger first.
In the 17-19' 150 hp would be more than adequate, although a 17' might go less.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Seriously, with a jet, don't go any less than a 150hp. You throw a few guys and gear and try to plane, you might be in for a suprise without the extra ponies.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking in the Alumaweld catalog,none of the Super Vees are rated for more than 115HP until you get to the Super Vee Pro. How do manufacturers get a HP rating? The SV LS is rated for more HP than the LT,and it's a lighter boat. I must be missing something.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What ever boat you get do not cut corners on the power. I have a 18' with a 100hp and pump. There are many times more power would have come in very handy. Also your fishing buddies will not have to hear you cursing when someone passes you on the run to that hot hole.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Mr. Carp - you and I see eye to eye on motors. I have a 250 Yamaha Saltwater series and the only complaining I ever do is about the gas mileage. For what it's worth, I love my NorthRiver. I don't know what Boondogging is though, but I'm guessing you might want a boat with shorter gunnels? I'd get a 4 stroke if you're buying a new boat assuming it's not too heavy for the size of boat you get. Look up the old NorthRiver boat thread for every opinion you ever wanted on boats. In January, about the time you finish reading the NorthRiver boat thread, go order a boat at the boatshow and save a few bucks :laugh:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Killertraylor, that baby must scoot!!! :grin: How big of a boat is that on??? Horsepower rating are not followed very closely in my opinion. Put what you want on the boat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
that piece of crap merc. 4 stroke kicker fires up on the second pull in way below frezing weather when we are chasing trophy bulls over here on billy chinook :laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts