IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons outside of the easy answers like more room on a tiller or safer handling with a steering cosole. What is the real reasons behind the preferences?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good Post Topic Rookie....

About 6 months ago I parted with a 22' flat bottom which had a 200HP tiller...never knew anything other than tiller steering..well then walks into my life but a 21' Super Vee Pro....yes with console.... at first I loved the pop up window for keeping the rain & misty air off me..but now I want to go back to tiller...here are my reasons for tiller over console.

1. More Room (Like dah)
2. Better control in smaller water (Console in bigger water)- the console wheel is not like that in the inboards where they have the high drive steering, to come about its 2.5 full turns then another 2.5 plus back. so when running a "S" curve in the river (smaller) its alot of turning as well as gaging the turn in advance (I hate it)
3. Less weight (75lbs for console)- small but helps in free float (controled drift).

So really to me its not which is better its more the application and type of water your running.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
When I was looking for a sled, I was sure I wanted a tiller steer. But after driving a few I ended up buying a console model instead, and am glad I did. I like the added stability of holding onto the steering wheel in choppy water, the little bit of increased visibility you get because you're standing a little farther forward in the boat, a good place to mount your fish finder, plus inside the console is a nice place for a VHS radio, fire extinguisher, etc...

When you have 2 or 3 people in the boat, the console can be an obstacle, but you get used to it and it's not a big deal (to me anyway). If I was going to buy another open sled today, I'd probably buy another console model. But I think you'll find that most people who have an opinion are pretty set in what they like.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Its all going to depend on what type of fishing and water your doing most.... The biggest thing that makes me regret the console/steering wheel set up is not having the main engine control right at hand when running the kicker.... in big water its just a convience thing... in small water its a safety thing and convienience. Also for fighting fish in small water and going through tailouts - having that tiller makes things a whole lot easier.

wet

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
having the main engine control right at hand when running the kicker
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That is one of the reasons I love my Tiller!

I have had both, and love the amount of room I have. If I need to run from my motor to my anchor, I have nothing in my way.

And besides, nothing says: I am a hard-core fisherman
Like a 200hp tiller outboard :grin: :rolleyes:

[ 10-06-2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: ANDYCOHO ]

·
Registered
195 Posts
You folks may laugh, but cost is a consideration too. I was recently looking for a new motor for my sled, and found that I could get a used 175 sport jet with low hours and have it installed for much less than getting a comparable outboard. I had to hunt for the deal pretty hard but in the end it has worked out so far(I am in the middle of the install process).

The loss of room is a consideration but it can be worked around.

As far as steering goes, it is all what you are comfortable with, I am going to go with a wheel for now but may get a stick later.

Have fun with the boat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you are a novice with a sled, go with the console. The additional safety of having something to hang on to in turns and choppy water is invaluable. If you have more experience, I’d go with the tiller for all the reasons above. But the console saved my bacon a few times as I learned how to run my boat.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Like Wetaline and others have said proximity to the kicker is why I run a tiller. When Side-drifting it is alot easier to have the kicker right there, especially when your at the top of a fast run and there are several other boats around.

However a steering wheel can be more forgiving if your still in the learning stage on running rivers and docking.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Go with the tiller. It won't take you long to get the hang of it. Start out on the Willamette and work your way up to more difficult water. More room, more control and easier to get to your kicker.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The steering response at low rpm (like trailering your boat)is better with a tiller. It is more comfortable to drive long distances from a console. I usually fish less than 10 miles from the launch :grin: ...

Like Andy says...
And besides, nothing says: I am a hard-core fisherman
Like a 200hp tiller outboard...
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Guess what I have? :grin:

·
Registered
855 Posts
My 2cents worth is to go with the tiller. More room more control exspecicaly at low rpm's theres no comparison to a wHeel.

I've run both and unless I decide to get a girlie boat with a windshiled I'll never have another suicide tower in my boat

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I've driven both. Mine has a console BUT the steering wheel has a knob on it like tractors or forklifts have. This makes low speed contol a LOT faster. I love my console with the "brodie knob". The console holds sea anchors am/fm radio, extra sun glasses/lotion, spare parts.....you won't regret a console.

Nothing says "hard core fisherman" like a good ol' console!! :wink:

·
Registered
616 Posts
You may like the way you can drive a boat and hang on with a console but the bottom line is the boat's for fishing.
If you want to fish get a tiller.
If you want to drive around all day and make it miserable for all the fisherman then get a console.
:grin:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ive only owned tillers, if you fish by yourself much youll appreciate the mobility afforded by the tiller. The only complaint i have is that my fishermans top has to be taken down in order to fit in my garage.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
My boat came with a console from the factory, and...after a couple of years I switched to the tiller.

My first thought after driving the tiller??

"Shoulda made the switch a long time ago..."

Different strokes for different folks...but I'll never have another console.

Mark

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
What do most of the professionals (guides) use? They are on the river every day...ask them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts