IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on this question. I am looking buying a 18ft Smoker Craft jon boat as a Clackamas, E Fork Lewis, Sandy or smaller river type sled . No big white water on the Deschutes or big Columbia River wave action. I am a partner in a 23ft Super Vee for that stuff, just a small river "jet sled wannabe". It has a 90/65 pump on the back and I would put a kicker on it. I just want to know, understanding what I have and what I am looking to do with this second boat, would you rather have a much older, well used Alumaweld flat bottom / semi vee type boat and pump for around $8000 or go with a newer jon with newer motor for around the same price?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Alumaweld, Wooldridge or other quality boat would be best, lots of good deals out there, Troy Bilts as well, Jon Boats do work though.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I am a boat salesman but will only point out the facts. A new boat drops as much as 25% in value when you drive it off the lot. A used boat is a much better investment. You can get the Smoker for 12k and try to get $6000 for it in a few years. Or you can get most all your money back out of a true jet sled. Lifetime hull warrenty transfers to great resale value. You will also fing a much better ride in a boat thats wider and heavier. Good luck. But my old man "Thumper" here on Ifish has got a 16' nice used jon for sale if your interested. Its in the classifieds.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a 16ft alumaweld flatbottom. It is a great boat for fishing the Lewis in the summertime. They do not draw very much water so you can run the whole river from the mouth to the barrier below the dam. Definitely stay with a welded boat. jb

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I'd have to say go with the Alumaweld. You can get the same "performance" without the BUMP of a flat bottom. It's a little extra security just in case you encounter some not-so-friendly conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts