IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today was the first day I struck out on my own. Just me, the boat and two friends who don't normally fish.

I figured if I left Clown Mouth (who was drugged after a medical procedure in the most uncomfortable of places) at home and took out some beginners I would have a fighting chance at some fish.

Which would win out, my skunk scent or the beginner's luck? This would be a battle of epic proportions.

We got the boat out of the new slip in St. Helens with no fanfare, after choking everyone at the docks by flooding the darn thing when trying to start it. We headed out and anchored up near 72 on the diamond. Rigged up two polls for sturgeon and one for Salmon.

There, we waited.

And waited.

And rebaited.

And waited.

Changed from Alvins to Kwikfish.

And waited.

Rebaited.

Waited.

Finally I got a 20-inch shaker.

rebaited.

Let friend's girlfriend pick the "pink" Kwikfish to put on because it was SURE to catch a fish.

waited.

Friend got a 10 inch shaker.

Wind waves were kicking up, we had been on the river for 9 hours and friends girlfriend wanted to go to Red Lobster and eat fish.

I wore gloves the entire time.

I was in 40 feet of water.

I even bought expensive bait.

Looks like the power of the skunk continues.

Great day on the river, nice weather, good company and relaxing.

Guess in the end this is good, since I have never cleaned a sturgeon! :grin:

Hope the rest of you had better luck.

Chacal

·
Registered
609 Posts
If anyone deserves a free sample of CarrotMilk its you!! :tongue: Keep trying, you'll catch them. Have you gone out with guides? They can certainly teach you about tides, rigging, location, etc.

Personally I'd beg those Carrot guys for a handout just to ditch the skunk. :grin:

Full Freezer

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Sat for 9 hours in a fishless hole???? Son, you have not been paying attention!

If where you are is not working, MOVE! Look for bottom structure such as a ledge or any change in bottom contour. Look for fish on the bottom if you have a good fishfinder. Don't just sit there, fish! Get aggresive. Make some luck.

If what you are using is not catching fish, change something! Different depth, different color, different dropper length, SOMETHING!

It sounds like you expect NOT to catch fish. Self fulfilling prophecy.......

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my defense, I had four different types of sturgeon bait.

I changed dropper lengths on the salmon rig multiple times.

I didn't move because I have a cabin cruiser and this being my first time out without my pops, I was just happy to not sink the darn thing!

I am sure if my dad had been with me we would have moved. I have had bad anchor experiences and didn't want to press my luck today.

In the end it was a nice day getting to know some friends even better.

Chacal

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Boy, it's nice to know it isn't just us with the bad luck finding sturgeon!! :depressed: We fished from about 10am. til 7pm on friday and ended up with 7 total. Two were 41" and the rest were anywhere from around 12"-36". We did actually move several times, but just couldn't find them.

About 8:45 friday morning we were trolling for summers up between the I-5 bridge and the railroad bridge and I caught my first ever summer chinook!! :cool: But unfortunately it had too many fins. :depressed: It looked like it would have gone about 20lbs. I was using an orange and chartreuse with black tiger stripes Wiggle Wart in 32' of water at 23 pulls.

As far as your luck is going, don't give up!! If you do, then you absolutely won't ever catch a keeper!!!!!!!! Them's my words of wisdom for you!!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Here's some constuctive critisism-

First, Amen to all what Crabbait said.

He's right, you have to expect to catch a fish, I've even wrote an article about it.

Moving if you're not getting fish is a need to do thing, when I'm sturgeon fishing I will not fish a spot over half an hour if I'm not getting into fish.

Also, it's hard to fish salmon and sturgeon at the same time, it can be done but you're better off going after one or the other.

I've posted on one of your threads before that a lot of the fishing is in the details. You say you were using Alvins and then Kwikfish, were you in Alvin water or Kwikfish water? They are not the same. You have to match your lure to the water codition. 40 feet might be too deep for your salmon fishing, I've been catching them in 10-15 I've also heard of people getting them in the 20 foot range. Later in the summer as the water warms up they will be running in that deeper water better. Were you using the right color for the depth and water clarity? Were your lures "tuned"?

It's the little things that count. The little things allow me to sit in a hog line with four other boats and catch as many as them or out fish all of them combined. We've done this 10 out of the last 12 trips.

Hope some of this helps.

[ 07-20-2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: David Johnson ]

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Chacal,
You gotta move around, if your not hitting fish, espicially sturgeon.. Then mave because your wasting your time and bait. Be versatile, if you keep doing the same thing over and over again and its not working.....
My advice to you is go out with a guide, or several different guides and ask questions and pay close attention to everything that happens. It will help you to get better at both fishing and boating skills. I am in no way advocating carrying a gps and marking down where they were at.. Just getting a feel for the techniques.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Alvin water VS Kwikfish water ? There must be water that works for both. Last fall I was anchored next to people using Alvins, while I was using Kwikfish, and we both were catching salmon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so I am officially retarded!

I am just happy I didn't sink the boat and we caught something, even if we had to throw them back.

I got a friend hook on sturgeon fishing AND we had a nice time out on the river.

Oh, and I didn't even take the shakers out of the water either...so I did something right...

:hoboy:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know you didn't Dave, I just feel that way!

:grin:

Oh and thanks for telling me about the different water for kwikfish versus alvins versus spinners. I thought if they wiggled you were in business.

Anyway, I will keep trying every weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts