IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bass Boys are at it again. Scappoose Bay Marina was the site for todays tourney, probably tomorrow, too. The am launch is miserable.The afternoon dock is packed out as they weigh fish and then run them back out for release. They pretty much monopolize the mini-harbor and all of the available dockspace. It's also dangerous traveling through the boat channel, being passed on both the left and right by disco-metalflake bullets.

Dang I'd like to unbolt a couple of those 250 Mercs or Yamahas and stick 'em on a real boat. :grin:

[ 05-03-2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: HOGTIDE ]

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
These guys are the worst on the river! I know a few bad apples give all the rest a bad name, but I think few of them care.
I think everyone has seen these guys racing through crowds of boat at Sellwood and the head of the channel.
Not a lot we can do about them on the river, but someday, one of them boys is gonna make front page news.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I was at Scappoose Bay once when a couple of guys came in in a new Ranger. Totally decked out for bass, front/rear trolling motors, dual FF, gunwale-to-gunwale carpeting, casting decks and pedestal seats everywhere, etc etc. The only thing missing were the southern accents and the ESPN cameras.
What got me was the matching uniforms. Polo shirts with their names and sponsors, matching hats, and nice slacks. Not jeans, slacks.
And it was over 90 freakin' degrees out. I asked them if there was a tournament going on, and they said no, they were just out fishing.
There is something very, very wrong with that. :hoboy:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hogtide, Ya know what I say. If ya can't beat em join um. Nothing makes these guys happier that some guys in 1500lbs of aluminum crowding in on there turf. and having a blast filling a fish box full of there pride and joy. :grin:

Try it sometime ya might enjoy it!! :dance:

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Atleast they don't put out a bunch of wake.. Also most tournament anglers are very proficient running there boats. Not defend them, but they are better than some people rubbernecking in a sled and definately better than a Jet Ski.

[ 05-04-2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
154 Posts
why is it that if you dont run a aluminum boat
you are target for everyone's miserable thoughts
I have spent many days on the river around people
in there 50,000.00 aluminum boats and they were the most unfrindley people on the river. i have talked to lots of bass people and are always very
nice to me. don't get me wrong I have a 21 ft northriver scout aluminum boat but it should not
matter what you have for a boat. everyoun should be happy for everyone that is able just to go out
on our wonderful rivers to FISH. I will say it again some of the most unfriendley people I have ever met have been in aluminum boats that think they know how fish. and that they own there section of the river that god gave them to fish for that day. we should think more about what we say about others that we don't know. if you did
we whould all have better days on the river.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hogtide,

It's also dangerous traveling through the boat channel, being passed on both the left and right by disco-metalflake bullets.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">This is like the skiiers vs. the riders <grin>. Fisherman complaining about other fishermen. The battle of the religious cults where the guys from different sects of the same religion hack each other apart with the most gusto.

"They just don't worship the fish gods correctly...they're worse than the heathens!"

I love the comment above complaining about the bass boater clothing...the beer belly, camo, dirty boat gang complaining about the sparkle plenty bass boater crowd...puhleeze!

The funny thing to me is that the hardcore bass boaters are as nutty as the hardcore salmon boaters with fishing in the rain with no canvas.

On them screaming up and down the river, that brings up a serious question. When the river is crowded like it is now, what's the etiquette on slowing down? If you do a no wake, you'd never get anywhere on the river.

I basically get up on plane and just try and give as a wide a berth as possible to folks fishing and don't complain when I'm fishing and someone does the same traveling up or down the river.

Brion

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I was taking out at Scappoose Bay yesterday when they were doing their weigh in. Those guys gave me plenty of room when they saw me untie to pilot my sled onto my trailer. No problems for me. :cool:

There was one guy in a Trophy that was tied up at the very end of the L shaped dock that got a little upset because he wanted to pull his boat on a rope onto the trailer. My boat was in right in front of his and he was a little rude ot my wife as he wanted her to move my sled so he could walk his boat up.
She pointed out the 14 other boats in front of us and he gave up and finally decided to motor on up.

If you are going to launch, load up on a weekend make sure you know how to load and unload your boat without using ropes. If you have to rope it up on the trailer you should wait until the dock is not so busy.

Bass guys were nice, Trophy guy was a grump but we figured out why as we used the bathroom after him and lets just say he had to use it real bad

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Hey, I wasn't complaining. I just found their garb rather amusing. They have a right to the river like anyone else. And they were plenty friendly, even if they took themselves too seriously. I'm sure they find the salmon/sturgeon/trout crowd as amusing as we find them. And that Ranger was a helluva nice boat. It's not something I'd buy, but if somebody bought me a tank of gas and turned me loose for an afternoon in it, I wouldn't complain. :wink:

5 cents, I always wonder why people insist on creating a hassle by walking their boats around all the others tied up at the dock. I've had a couple of minor run-ins with these types. Some docks have rules about "powering on", but if it's quicker and safer to drive it on the trailer, I'll do it. Screw 'em. :cool:

[ 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
1pump,

Hey, I wasn't complaining. I just found their garb rather amusing.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">OK..OK...Commenting on their garb then <grin>. They are definitely sharper dressers than the salmon/sturgeon folks.

I crack up at some of the camo outfits. They should sell a fish camo outfit with imitation dark scale backs and shiny white scale fronts.

I'd definitely buy it.

On the bass boats, if folks are going to fish without a canvas, I always thought a bass boat would be as good as a jet sled. Lots of storage for multiple rods, lots of gear storage, low free board, draws very little water up on plane, walk around for fighting fish, lounging areas for summer sunning for the ladies, go fast for those who chase the "hot bite".

You could probably even do salmon trolling using the big four cycle and the electric together. Put the big engine at lowest speed possible and use the remote control electric to guide it for back trolling, trolling, etc.

Brion

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Years ago I read a book (don't remember the name) written by a journalist who followed the B.A.S.S. tour around for a season. He spent a lot of time fishing with the pros and hanging around behind the scenes.
A lot of the pros have put themselves and their families through a lot of hardship trying to break in to the B.A.S.S. good ol' boys network. One guy, Rick Clunn, even went broke and lost his house while trying to make the tour. It paid off for him in the end when he hit the big time.
The tour officials don't like non-conformists or individualists, and they're really hard on the newcomers. Which would explain why these guys dress like they're on the PGA tour.
They've managed to turn fishing in to a spectator sport in some parts of the country. More power to 'em. I'd rather fish than watch.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Originally posted by 1pump:

They've managed to turn fishing in to a spectator sport in some parts of the country.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">salmon fishing is a spectator sport also, I sit in a hog line and watch other people catch fish all day :laugh:

·
Registered
84 Posts
now i grew up bass fishing but love steelhead and salmon also....and dont have time for bass in Oregon.....but i think they are mostly nicer because it is a mostly catch and release sport and so there is not as much pressure to "fill the freezer"....they are really just out there for the pure fun of it............

·
Registered
532 Posts
well spoken tacklebuster--

·
Registered
532 Posts
my other penny.. on the "Garb" worn-
being from the east gives me the pleasure at laughing at folks with
bright yellow rain coats,
big baggy guides pants--
held up by suspendors..
and of course let me not forget the cowboy hat's and white gloves i saw on the Sandy-- are we fishing or having an inspection sir'
seems to be folks in oregon have an identity crises going on-
not that I should laught too hard, due to my rabbit fur hat, red union suit and big air force bunny boots that were moved out here along with my ice fishing gear-- anyone looking for an ice auger?

[ 05-04-2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: snowball ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Snowball,

and of course let me not forget the cowboy hat's and white gloves i saw on the Sandy--
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That would probably be Jack Glass, one the guides. The "white gloves" are latex gloves to keep human scent off the lures and bait.

If wearing a cowboy hat made me as productive as Jack, I'd have 10 of'em <grin>.

Brion

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I have an inboard jet, with that said I would like to add to this post. Some of the rudest people I have ever seen on the water have been in the boats like mine (ours). I have talked with a lot of the bass boat captains and they have always been very friendly and full of helpful tips. Half the tips you get from grumpy guys in a hog line or newbee's on sleds I can't repeat because it would get a big edit.

I have never had a bass boat run on top of my anchor rope or tangle multiple times on my gear. I have never had a bass boat anchor so close to me they hit the side of my boat and look at me like I was the crazy one. There boats throw less of a wake than mine and most of them are very helpful at a boat ramp. Imagine that, helpful at a boat ramp
Launch out of Tackle Time or Hammond on a weekend in July or August and see how many "helpful" people you can find.

Just because we have a southern accent and our wardrobe consists of more that bibs, a rain parka, and a half rack of coors, we all are not bass masters.

Just my two cents, have a nice day :cool:

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I'm right there with Tacklebuster on the rudeness of some of our salmo fishermen!
What you don't realize is that those bassers in sparkly-go-fast-boats are so friendly because YOUR not a basser and he knows YOUR not going to be following him to any of his spots. Before I got my bigger Smoker neither the basser or the salmo fishermen would be nice to me, it's amazing how some fishers judge you by the size and $$$ of your boat.

Smj

·
Registered
532 Posts
so, I guess what it all boils down to is accepting that it's really different strokes for different folks--
I don't have any white gloves though, but well, truth be known, they are green--

1 - 20 of 42 Posts