IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK the past 2 years have been super easy for Coho in the Salt much of the time. With numbers down a bit next year, which do you think is the better producer on ocean salmon?
I've gone back and forth, and really haven't noticed a difference. I like the extra action from the 360, but not rhe drag.
I've run both super bait cut plugs (mini) and squid with a 3.0 or 3.5 blade. Each had their days, but over all pretty even.
2020 off Newport we landed 45 on the same two mini cut plugs, those are white plastic now.

· Registered
75 Posts
Last year the 360 with a crystal flash/hoochie with a blade out fished the triangle flasher for us. Ran 18” and 24” bumpers and 24” out fished the 18”. I prefer triangles but I will probably fish 360s to start.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
If you are targeting coho, they won't care and there is less drag with the triangle flashers - Unless you want to fish spinners or hootchies, which need the action provided by the skateboard type flashers.

· Registered
4,437 Posts
Don’t complicate ocean fishing. A 6-8” chrome dodger has worked for a long time and still does.

Leave the 360’s for the poison water.

If you must get complicated, a triangle flasher like the Sweet Abby works well. A pro troll like the moon beam or a green themed one works well off a downrigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
338 Posts
I use both (kind of) the only reason I ever use skateboards out there is if I need to give a hoochie some action. But I never use the full size ones, I like the smaller 8" pro trolls (before they were called 360s) an oldschool chrome dodger has the exact same effect and like using those as well. Depending on what I want to fish with that day (herring, brads or hoochies) dictates what goes on the line above it

· Registered
185 Posts
When it comes to coho (silver) salmon the smaller metal type dodgers w/ an 18” to 24” bumper pulled behind a Delta Diver to a short 18” to 24” leader of 40-50lb mono has been my go-to rig. The Mack’s Smile Blade above a small 2” to 3” micro-hoochie (orange/red/yellow combination) has been a killer whenever they’re on crab larvae or krill. I love to add a small red or orange label herring to the (front hook) setup or add herring strips or small chunks of green label herring in addition to lathering on Atlas Mike’s Herring Lotion to the hoochie. If that setup doesn’t produce fairly quickly, the actively feeding fish aren’t in the area and it’s time to move locations. I’m a big believer that vibration and scent adds value and triggers action!

Attachments

· Registered
6,213 Posts
I've seen the addition of a 360 to the spread turn the bite on for everyone and other times I've seen the 360 get most of the bites. I give a good deal of credibility to the theory that the flash of the 360 draws fish to the spread.

· Registered
7,043 Posts
Large plastic skateboard flashers were around on the ocean a long, long time before 360s came along. They even made em with kicker fins (bechhold and sons, at least since the 90s) so you could use them with a diver or lead rather than a downrigger.

Fast forward to 2020, and suddenly they are everywhere in the river. Clever marketing combined with groupthink and the fact that they always worked well for salmon made a huge success. Now guys drag em around in the ocean like it's something new and you can't catch a fish without one.

Personally, I go no flasher if I can catch fish without one. Then I start as small as possible with a tiny dodger, and work my way up to the skateboard flasher. Truth is, I don't think I have EVER run the skateboard for coho in the ocean. It's never been required.

But do they work? Absolutely. Do I run one most of the time? Nope.

· Registered
4,281 Posts
Large plastic skateboard flashers were around on the ocean a long, long time before 360s came along. They even made em with kicker fins (bechhold and sons, at least since the 90s) so you could use them with a diver or lead rather than a downrigger.

Fast forward to 2020, and suddenly they are everywhere in the river. Clever marketing combined with groupthink and the fact that they always worked well for salmon made a huge success. Now guys drag em around in the ocean like it's something new and you can't catch a fish without one.

Personally, I go no flasher if I can catch fish without one. Then I start as small as possible with a tiny dodger, and work my way up to the skateboard flasher. Truth is, I don't think I have EVER run the skateboard for coho in the ocean. It's never been required.

I agree!!! The idea that "ya gotta have a 360 to catch fish" is far from truth. yes, It's another tool in the bag of tricks to lure fish to a bait but I think it's overkill when the transducer tells ya there's many fish in the area. Sometimes "too flashy" scares them away IMO. Now when the water is murky, the sky is overcast and there's just a few fish swimming you bet... that extra flash and splash would draw a suspicious fish to the bait. In reality... all things considered... THAT'S what the 360 is all about; mimicking a big fish following a wounded bait. Then there is the theory a fish en-route the spawn doesn't "eat" but two - three years of "habitual" biting a wounded bait surely does raise eyebrows; was it an irritation of just plain habitual? That's when I scratch my head and overthink this threads purpose, "which bait" do I swing behind the 360? o_O:rolleyes:

· Registered
261 Posts

This is my approach also....

Last season the fishing for coho was so hot I never changed out from a Yo Zuri crystal minnow, rigged with a single hook on the back. Runs true at speed and nice to fight a salmon without weight, diver, or flasher on the line.

· Registered
Stabicraft 2250 UCC OS "Gypsy Davie"
507 Posts
It's a 360 show on my boat, we run break aways to reduce the drag when you get a fish on. I'm a firm believer in the roll and flash combined with the stainless prop and white wash helps attract fish. We've got them right in the wake 15-25' on the line counter in the middle of the afternoon on bright sunny days, I believe we drew them up to the boat. Last year I ran a spoon or plug alone as a shotgun lure and while it didn't catch as many it was much more fun.

· Registered
775 Posts
I run both, often at the same time. I suspect 360s outproduce triangles this year. However, triangles had their days. It's a fun competition. 360s on the starboard side, triangles on port, who's coming out on top!

· Registered
149 Posts
Don’t complicate ocean fishing. A 6-8” chrome dodger has worked for a long time and still does.

Leave the 360’s for the poison water.

If you must get complicated, a triangle flasher like the Sweet Abby works well. A pro troll like the moon beam or a green themed one works well off a downrigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I needed to hear this again. Great advice and reminder to keep it simple in the salt.

· Registered
13,724 Posts
its been years since I have fished the big pond Does anyone ever use coyote spoons anymore? DAB my Father inlaw left me a box full of them we used to Kill the coho with them

1 - 20 of 30 Posts