IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am entering the wonderfull world of sinker molding. I have a need for a large quantity of 1 1/2 and 2 oz bank sinkers.

Any advice on locating molds with multiples of these sizes on one mold?

Also, any advice on melting, cleaning, pouring would be appreciated.

I have a few buckets of wheel weights to get started with.

Thanks in advance.

GRB

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I got my pot and spoons at goodwill for under $10.00. I found a slotted spoon or one with holes in it works good from getting most of the garbage out and the crusty stuff off the top. Once the top of the molten lead looks shinny your ready to pour.
I went and bought a set of welder’s gloves after about the third time I burnt a hole in my hand.

I found the best selection of molds at Fishermen’s, GI Joes has them also. I use one of my old camp stove for heat.

I have a 4 oz 5 oz & 6oz mold if you need one. Or maybe we could swap some already made weights.

Just my 2 cents
Small Fry

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
GRB,

I see, now that you got the little one fishing you are going through too many sinkers! :grin:

DO-IT molds are the ones of choice for bank sinkers hands down. (I have been doing this for a living for 9-10 years).

They offer a 6 cavity in the 1&1/2oz. (BK-6-112) and a 4 cavity production mold in the 2oz. (BK-4-2).

DO-IT molds are the ones with the wood handles you see at Fisherman's, Bob's, Englund Marine and other fine stores. Looks as if Fisherman's is near by you and they stock them.

Wheel weights are terrible to use but they do the job and they weigh the exact amount as pure or soft lead.

They do have a lot of alloy in them and will start breaking apart in the mold once it gets hot. Pure lead won't do that. Also you have a lot of skimming of the brackets and slag that you don't have using pure lead.

Try to remove all plastic or rubber valve stems, caps, etc. before meltind down, but you will still have some smelly cookin'.

Never drop used weights into molten lead or you will have a hat and or walls that look like mine and many others I know. :shocked: Water and molten lead don't mix. Take that seriously! Some old weights must have some water or something inside that cause an explosion when dropped into molten lead.

What did you mean by "cleaning"?

Are you going to be using an electric pot or propane?

I'll be back on later to give you some more tips on lead pouring. I've learned a lot of tricks from myself and others after pouring tons of the stuff over the last nine years. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Dan

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I use wheel weights for pouring decoy anchors, mkae sure they are dry. I have had a couple of interesting expiriences with them popping. If you set them out in the sun for an afternoon they should be fine though.

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

I've just been on the Do-it site and ordered the production molds for the sizes I need.

I'll take to heart the advice. I was at a foundry with a 3 ton melt of steel when some wet material got charged....VERY exciting.

Fishermans and Joes had some stuff but mostly variety pack and not production sets.

I'll melt with a propane stove.

I knew there'd be a lot of crud with wheel weights, that's what I meant by cleaning (skimming)

I guess I'll search the kitchen for tools after the wife's in bed.

Thanks for the info.

BTW Ryan, they had a cool looking 7 oz decoy weight mold that I ordered. I'll let you know. Also your care package should ship Monday.

GRB

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
GRB I have been approached by a few people to have a lead poring party. I have a pot and molds that go from 1 oz to 40 oz. If we could get a couple people with pots and molds we could pour lead for a lot of I-Fishers. What do you think?

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Whoops! I knew I shouldn't have slipped that used sinker in there!

Notice the lead covered pot, DO-IT mold, cutters, hooks, bag of brass eyes, boxes, etc. Should have seen my shirt and hat!

The next pic is of my hood fan above the pot. Notice the lead plated light bulb?

As I said prior, take it seriously! Never had it happen from a cold start, only when you add them to molten lead.

It is always pointed out to keep your molds oiled. I have found in the last year or two that a veg spray like Pam works better than anything I have used. WD-40 and gun cleaning oil smoke and stink too much when the mold gets hot.

Small Fry uses a slotted spoon. So do I when I am using my larger propane pot. Works great! He also bought welders gloves. So did I and they are perfect again when I am using the propane pot & ladel. The ladel can get real hot. The gloves slip off & on real easy for loading brass eyes.

The electric pot in the pic is real sweet. Holds about 20 lbs or so and I can pour 15-16 lbs without refilling it. Real effecient and doesn't hardly show on my electric bill even though I have poured tons of lead with it (wholesale tackle business). Life time guarantee and that one of the two I own is 8 years old and have never had a problem with it. I modified it years ago (bored it out with a drill bit) and I can pour up to 14 oz. pyramid sinkers with it.

RCBS bottom pour pot , spendy but an awesome way to go for the serious. Hate to even fire up the propane rig.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Thanks,I'll be trying to get some goodies prepared for the return trip. When you mentioned bug dope, the next day those damn white socks and mosquitos came out. I found that by taking garlic tablets that they don't bother me at all, but then again neither do the women. :wink:

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I use a single burner propane stove and a cheap pot. If you can get some beeswax you will have a great flux, and you can light the smoke off. I don't cast wheelweights (mostly I'm casting .535 roundballs) I use as soft as lead that I can find. Usually old shower pans. Major clean-up, I usually melt the pan, clean the lead, and pour ingots for later use. Watch dripping sweat into the molten lead. I do all of mine outside. I use the same lead for sinkers, a "Do-It" bank sinker mold with a range of sinkers.

What do you guys use to trim the sprues? My roundball mold has a sprue cutter (Lee), but I've been using side cutters for the sinkers. Works ok, but not the cleanest look.

·
Registered
957 Posts
A Cheap way to make flat sinkers for duck decoys or bank fishing with out buying molds is to use a pop/beer can up side down. Put the brass eye on the edge of the can and fill with the desired amount of lead. You can go anywhere from around 2 OZ. to 6 OZ.

Not the most professional looking but it works and very inexpensive to make. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I had some old side cutters which I used for sprue trimming and cutting the tag ends of wire from spinners. They didn't cut close enough, so I turned them into flush cutters by putting them on the belt sander until the front taper of the cutting edge was gone. They do a neat job of trimming sprue now, but it weakened the nose and they don't cut the wire ends as well.

I would like to see some ideas for getting rid of the waste that sometimes forms at the seam. I have sometimes just used a propane torch and melted it off.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hey everyone,

I had a quick question. I got into sinker molding about five years ago when my brother who worked for Stanley at the time got a hold of about a hundered pounds of sheet lead. I baught a mold and turned it all into six ounce sinkers. Ever since then the molds been sitting on a shelf out in the shed. The only reason I havnt made more is a lack of lead. Where are you guys getting yours at?

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just remember, lots of heat will bring out the impurities and make them easier to remove. Your wife could get some tips from mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts