IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I\'m a newbie, here's my story......

I grew up in upstate NY, my moms boss used to haul his boat all the way down to annapolis and we woud hit the water at sunrise and be trawlling for blues all day with plastic eels.
as time would wear on the dog would be whinning to go relieve himself so bad he would stand in the back corner and relieve himself fully expecting to be reprimanded . any way we would be cruising along and every now and thn we would hit a school and "Fish On" . My pole was just gently swaying dragging that plastic eel when the gods of fishing smiled upon me. My rod tip was practically in the water, we cut the engings reeled up the other lines and I'm fighting the biggest blue we have hit, he was trying to swim all the way from left to the right. It was all I could do to keep reeling, seeing the looks of pride from my folks and all on the boat. just as i didn't think i would ever see this 15lb or biggr monster. ( Blues will thrash and shake so bad they will tear off their jaws just to keep from being boated) My fish breaks the surface, and to my dismay and everyones laughter, My line and eel had hooked a 3lb'er broadside under the backbone & was being dragged side ways to his doom.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Re: Since I\'m a newbie, here's my story......

Welcome aboard. Good story.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

Welcome to the site. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Welcome aboard. whats a blue?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

Bluefish

Family Pomatomidae, BLUEFISHES
Pomatomus saltatrix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description: color blue or greenish blue on back, sides silvery; mouth large; teeth prominent, sharp, and compressed; dorsal and anal fins nearly the same size; scales small; lateral line almost straight.

Similar Fish: blue runner, C. crysos.

Where found: young usually INSHORE spring and summer, moving OFFSHORE to join adults fall and winter; strong migration of northeast Atlantic stock to Florida east coast in winter.

Size: most west coast catches under 3 pounds, much larger on east coast.

*Florida Record: 22 lbs., 3 ozs.

Remarks: travels in large schools, following schools of baitfish; cannibalistic; all members of a given school about the same size; spawning occurs OFFSHORE in spring and summer.

* The Florida records quoted are from the Department of Environmental Protection's printed publication, Fishing Lines and are not necessarily the most current ones. The records are provided as only as a benchmark.

[Fish Identification] [Fishing in Indian River County]

Living | Learning Working | Playing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
816 Posts

Welcome to the friendly waters of ifish. I grew up in up state new york as well. Were are you from? :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts