IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cured up a bunch of eggs this weekend down at the coast - they've all set up nice - but do to conditions down there i didn't dry them at all.

Is it ok to have had them in the cooler and now in the fridge for a couple days to put them out to dry?

thanks for the help,
hp

[ 09-02-2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: wetaline ]

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I only dry eggs if I am going to use them for steelhead. When I do that, I only dry the eggs I am going to use on the trip. I put them in a tupperware container and leave the lid off in the fridge the night before. This way, all the great juices are still with the egg and they are nice and sticky from the fridge pulling the moisture out of them. This was taught to me by the best egg fisherman there is..............Scott Amerman.

:cheers:

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
I dry on butcher paper, the slick side, and the juice also stays with the egg.

I also do some wet cure (bobber), some strained then jarred (bobber/back bounce).

If you want to dry some, no problem, the extra juice does help protect during freezing though, but sometimes it's nice to just get a jar out storage and go fishing without the juice and hassle of "prepping" bait.

All do respect to the "best egg fisherman there is"
:wink:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys - but I guess what my question is, is this. Is it ok to take cured eggs that are only a couple days old and have been refrigerated - and put them back into room temperature to dry? I probably have 20lbs of eggs that I want to dry a bit for back bouncing in heavy water. So quantity would make it tough to do in the fridge.

They'll fish fine as is - but would last a bit longer w/ a couple hours of drying. Unless I get a for-sure for-sure answer i'll propbably just keep them wet.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Go ahead and dry them out some, especially if your going to back bounce those egg's in some heavy current. But remember, wet egg's milk, and milk and milk.

I use a fan to quik dry my egg's for back bouncing, then put them in jar's. My bobber egg's get strained and then put right into the container.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.