IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post a picture of a Silvers lower jaw next to a Salmons, I have'nt caught one for so lomg I'm not sure if any I have caught are Silvers or Jacks...... :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Where the teeth meet the gums on a Coho, it will be white. the rest of the mouthe may or may not be dark. But the teeth meeting the gums is money in the bank.

Kings are black at the gum line.

Do not ask me how I had to learn this lesson.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Besides looking at the Gums you can tell a Silver by the tail. The black dots are not as pronounced
Plus the tail of a Silver is softer. Make a fist and slide your hand over the tail. If it is stiff or
rigid it's a Chinook if it's soft and folds it is a Coho. I have been fooled by the mouth.
The Silvers are huge on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. It's easy to mistake one in July
when you're not expecting Eighteen pound Coho. Seen many Coho mistaken as Chinook because of size.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The black gum line is the only way to go. That is what they are going to look at. I agree that there are many other ways to tell, but check that gumline.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
isn't there something with the spots on the tail too??? something like spots all over on coho and only on the top of kings???

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
isn't there something with the spots on the tail too??? something like spots all over on coho and only on the top of kings???
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">devonian,

Yes, that's another way to tell also, but I think you may have it backwards. Chinook have spots on upper and lower part of their tail and silvers only have spots on the top part of the tail! I'm with Dan9113 though...that's what they'll look for is the lower gumline! If unsure, better check...and check...and check :grin:

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks Fastwater. I just printed it out and laminated it so I can take it with me fishing.

·
Registered
801 Posts
From Jokester:
If unsure, better check...and check...and check
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Check twice, bonk once!

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
Yeah, I guess after you've checked it twice, you need to introduce it to the dying quivers :grin:

·
Registered
320 Posts
abalone,
that's backwards on the tail thing. silvers have rough tail rays and chinooks have smooth tail rays.

also don't trust spots on the tail to tell you. your best best is the gumline. black at very, very base (where the individual teeth enter the gum)is chinook, anything else is not a chinook.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
What's good about using the gumline is that you can usually, and positively, identify the species without having to net it or take it out of the water, both of which greatly increase the likelihood of mortality.

Blackmouth - chinook
Any white around gums - most likely coho

Skein

1 - 15 of 15 Posts