IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy. its been a LONG time since Ive posted on here!

Anyway, I went up to Eagle Creek on Friday. The water was up and fish should have been moving, but the stretch below Eagle Fern was DEAD. I thought fish might be up higher so I hit some private property I have access too up above the second fish ladders. Nailed a hen right away, pretty dark but not too bad. Hooked and lost two more, then hiked a mile downstream. Saw a few darkies, caught one Jack. That was it. Definitely not the thousands of fish that are usually up there this time of year.

Went back today figuring the rain would have fish pouring into the creek. Nothing in the stretch around the park again! We high tailed it down to Bonny lure just to look, not much doing there either, so we went all the way up to the hatchery. There's a hundred or so silvers in the tank up there, all real dark, but not the usual numbers I would expect for this time of year and the fish really dont seem to be moving much. Granted, the water was low today, but Friday there was plenty of water to move some fish. I did see one school of fifty or so splash up the rapids off of Eagle Creek Road, but that was it. I fished below one'o'clock rock for awhile and saw a few fish in one really deep hole, but then gave up and headed over the the Sandy.

Down at Marsh Road we did a little better. My bro was hooking fish left and right, and I managed to hook a few too. One kid caught one, and saw a few others hooked. Amazingly enouph the fish I saw hooked were mostle fair, and the one or two that were fould did seem to be unintentional. Chartreuse and bright orange spinners slow over the bottom. Pretty crowded though. Wish those fish were in Eagle Creek better. I always seem to be able to wander away from the yahoos down there. Anyone know the status on the Eagle Creek run?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I fished Tuesday even - at Bonnie Lure. There was just a few fish that were around. I heard there was a good push Tuesday morning. I fished friday evening. Even less fish.

I walk and fished for 1/2 mile Sun evening and didn't see one fish on the move and there was just a few at the bride at Bonnie lure. I don't understand, what is up with this years run?

·
Registered
531 Posts
My old fishin buddy Chuck and I went crusin around Fri. 80+ Cars at the Sandy Hatchery.A few Nasty looking fish being carried out by not very proud anglers.We used to think 5 guys at the Cedar Creek hole was crowded.Went to Eagle creek and walked from the top of the Oregon Fishing Club Property to the 2nd bridge and only counted 35 fish.Walked right down the middle so we did not miss count any fish.Chuch went swimming. It was a beautiful day but he wouldn't listen when I told him the water was too low for swiming.He had to give it a try in 12". Hooked 3 on 6lb. Tried 4 lb and single egg and most fish ran from that.Call to the hatchery where they estimated they had 200-300 fish. ALL the fish in the creek were not table quality. Creek had plenty of water for fish movement. Where are they ? Ocean Troll Gill nets ? I think not as they are very early returning fish.Sportcaught ? Black Hole ? I vote for the black hole .

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Wierd, especially when you think that the lewis may top 50,000 fish for the early run alone. It seems to be only the Clack that is affected.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Was up EC this am early. One hit before the sun hit the water, nothing after. A lot of fish moving, about 15% looked keepable. Lots of jacks but they were a little dark. In the 2 hrs I fished must have seen maybe a 100 fish moving. Oh well off to the coast....Roger

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Sounds like a repeat of last year. If you simply stay in one spot where you can see the fish move through, you cast at each fish that somes up, and eventually you'll get a biter. That's what I did last year. If you move around, you'll miss the fish that will swim right by you if you just wait for them. Thanks for the report Rojo.

happybrew

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I checked out the Clack and Eagle creek on Saturday and saw no sign of fish. Ok the two darkies that swam by. Sunday I went to the mouth of the Clack and saw nothing. Two anglers said they
had just lost one. One what ? I donno. It wouldn't surprise me if they came in over night though.
Those fish move fast. If they are moving up Eagle Creek I would sure like to know where they've been hiding I don't think they would get from the mouth of the Clack to Eagle Creek that fast, but
maybe ?

·
Registered
540 Posts
At ofc 1. The fish were moving right on through not slowing down in the holes at all, creek was low and clear made the fish spook easy after the sun hit the water....Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts