IFish.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got to the lake at 8AM and fished till about 1pm. I landed over 300 fish.
I got more that my limit (only kept 7 crappie). The bite was better early and faded a bit in the afternoon. I think from fishing pressure. I fished with and without a bobber. With out a bobber I snagged lots of crappie, about 40. I think there are lots of fish still in the canal but they are slow moving right now. I think a three jig setup got me more bites like last fall. The crappie liked a S L O W presentation! Do not over work your bobber. I had my best luck with very small twitches to the bobber. Bright color worked best! The crappie are 12" to 20 " deep and like normal the perch are on the bottom of the canal.
I did bring home about 20 fish.
Hope this helps!
I also got my first bass of the year!
Roger

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been up the the canal's 3 time's this last week. Each time the crappie bit at most any color i used, However the best has been orange or pink. Yesterday the canal's had ice on top, so i had to cast to open holes. Catching fish and using them to slap open more holes. The first couple of days it was easy to get my limit with only a few through backs, the best being a nice 12" slab. Yesterday we caught over 100 in a 20' bank area, getting our limits as well 2 trout, 6 bass, 6 bluegill and a dozen perch.
I am a bank angler, that uses fishing to help with many pain issues from my disabilities.
Most of the time it's a bobber with the jig (I use only one) 1.5ft under it, popping it 4" at a time and watch for a twitch...very light bites for the crappie.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Nicely done guys!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been up the the canal's 3 time's this last week. Each time the crappie bit at most any color i used, However the best has been orange or pink. Yesterday the canal's had ice on top, so i had to cast to open holes. Catching fish and using them to slap open more holes. The first couple of days it was easy to get my limit with only a few through backs, the best being a nice 12" slab. Yesterday we caught over 100 in a 20' bank area, getting our limits as well 2 trout, 6 bass, 6 bluegill and a dozen perch.
I am a bank angler, that uses fishing to help with many pain issues from my disabilities.
Most of the time it's a bobber with the jig (I use only one) 1.5ft under it, popping it 4" at a time and watch for a twitch...very light bites for the crappie.

Nice going! How big are the perch running?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Last time I caught perch at SL, all but one was a female loaded with eggs. I decided to keep the eggs to eat. Lots of protein with fish eggs. Rolled in Panko and fried, I wrapped them with small stripes of bacon. A great hors d'oeuvres but not for every one. I suppose any thing rolled in Panko is pretty tasty.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Last time I caught perch at SL, all but one was a female loaded with eggs. I decided to keep the eggs to eat. Lots of protein with fish eggs. Rolled in Panko and fried, I wrapped them with small stripes of bacon. A great hors d'oeuvres but not for every one. I suppose any thing rolled in Panko is pretty tasty.
I thought you were going to say anything rolled in bacon is pretty tasty. Which is also true.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts