IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How early do winters show up on the Siletz? The earliest I've caught winters on this river is the beginning of January. Of course, that is the earliest I've tried. I usually do the town float and was thinking of giving it a try in mid December. Will I just be wasting my time? I'm going to pick up my new bobber and jig rod today (Berkley IM7 on sale at GI Joes) :dance: and I don't know how long I'll be able to wait. On the other hand, I'll only have time to make 4 - 5 trips this winter and I don't want to squander one.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
I don't really know, but if you float it in Dec and catch anything, let me know, I can only keep washing my boat so many times without it actually being dirty. I just have to play with it to let it know I haven't forgotten about ;-). Your biggest factor in mid Dec will be water flow. Last year it was reallllly high most of Dec. I had three weeks off and had hoped to pound the Alsea and Siletz and never made a trip! :hoboy: Good Luck.

·
Registered
687 Posts
:smile: For early Winters I would put my time in on the Alsea or the Wilson probably. The Siletz in my experience starts later from my years of fishing it. Good Luck! "Happiness is a Bent Rod!" :cheers:

·
Registered
687 Posts
:smile: Oooppppsss I forgot the Nestucca! Three Rivers for SURE!!! Below the hatchery!! Could be the best of all early winter fisheries!!!! "Happiness is a Bent Rod!" :cheers:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I think I'll try the Nestucca. I've only floated it once (from the 2nd bridge down if I remember correctly). Its my understanding that the best opportunity for hatchery fish is on the float below Three Rivers, because of the location of the hatchery. Is that correct? Anything to watch out for on this float? Any islands where the correct path isn't obvious. I'm OK on the oars, I just don't have any big water experience.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have fished the Siletz for many years and the earliest I have caught winter steelhead is the middle of December. The best fishing would peak in February, but with the Palmer fish it seems fishing is best into March. Last year was the first time in a few years I fished hard for winters. I really prefer to chase the summers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts