IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing the Siletz the past few days, got ripped off today!!! Someone actually had the nerve to open up my canope and just help themselves to my two spare rods... lamers. Out fishing not all that far from the rig, come back up and rods are gone but no camping gear. I guess at least now I have a fly rod to fish with!

KC

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There are thieves everywhere, not just there. I just make a habit of not leaving any gear in my truck. There are some things that insurance cannot replace. Even when they catch people like this they usually do nothing. I sympathize with you.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
KC, Siletz is notorious for thievery.
Post some details about the rods/reels I will have a look at the pawn shops in town. I stop often looking for some tools that were lifted this spring. (actually got a few back!)

Be sure to make a make a police report, and contact the Siletz tribal council (I'm not pointing fingers!) if you expect support for recourse when they show up at a pawn shop here.

I had my gas tank drained TWICE right next to the logsden store in daylight hours!

Also, I have a little sticker I made myself with a labelk machine, which reads "Vehicle and contents protected by ~LoJaCk~ with mobile video" monitor.

Its a crock, but seems to be working. (Quite a sensitive alarm in it too)

P.S. How did you do fishing?
Drop a line next time you come over, I'll join you.

[ 06-28-2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention the fishing didnt I? Fishing was good to say the least! Battled one yesterday for about ten minutes before it decided to spit the hook... jumped about 7' out of the water! Thursday and friday were pretty unreal days though, my I managed to bonk some nice fish, 13-14 lb and 8 lb'er.

The gear that was taken was a North x Northwest rod with a Quantam Kinetic reel. The other was a bait casting setup, the reel on that one was broken though. To cast it you had to push the release with the opposite hand, the plastic button broke and requires two hands now to be able to cast it.

I try not to keep gear in my rig, but when your just down the bank I figure I could hear someone messing with my stuff. Guess not. Oh well, live and learn. Hundreds of times out there, gear in my canope- middle of the day I dont worry about someone opening the canope to take a look. Have to lock it in the cab next time!

KC

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by cirrhosis-of-the-river:
Siletz is notorious for thievery.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Really?
My grandfather, dad, and I have been fishing up there for a loooong time and I don't think we've ever had anything stolen...
KleanCut, sorry to hear about that.
Maybe I'll see you on the river sometime.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just for the record I left the rear window rolled down on my Big bronco at the St Johns boat launch area all day with a lot of stuff in it that could have been stollen and nothing was missing. Probably outhouse luck as this is a area that breakins happen. I just forgot to raise the window after launching my boat. Probably the crooks didn't expect that kind of thing.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Sparkleboy , you've left things in your vehicles enough times to come to this conclusion? Have a look back through the archives, Thefts on the siletz have been reported here a few times by other IFishers. (Not to mention, I live here, the local talk is often that of something being stolen or vandalized.) Take the warning seriously, its not uncommon.

Tag along...You're right, but if the phony sticker doesnt do it, the real, piercing alarm will. I guess it was presumptive to think theres only honest IFishers who would see the sticker-post.

[ 06-30-2003, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have been hearing that there are alot of lurkers here. I knew there were, but so many in my backyard. Some I sure wouldn't trust so I don't post anything about th house or rigs except that I DO protect my home and family with fire arms, and the three dogs don't hurt wither.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The thieves hit Moonshine Park too. My friend had his bike stolen the previous weekend. The park host reported it to the OSP.

[ 07-05-2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Steelheadman ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts