IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing the siletz out of Coyote Rock with El-Kabong This weekend. Fished it last year with no luck. Seems like its pretty much a cut plug show with kwikfishing on anchor when tidal currents allow.

Everyone seemed to run a banana weight and medium dodger with cut plug. Just local taste? Why not dropper or diver or fish flash?

Any tips on technique, crabbing, or crawdaddin' would be greatly appreciated.

Freak

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I've pulled a lot of crabs out of there, but ya gotta run clear down into the bay near the bar. If you don't know where the channel is, you can do some serious damage to your boat. The bay's full of deadheads and it's only a couple feet deep out of the channel.
There's a nice area to crab in the last 1/4 mile or so before the bar. The channel runs about 12-20 feet deep and most people crab in there. But it's not a big area and if 3 or 4 other boats are working it can get crowded in a hurry.
2 years ago in Sept it was red hot, but last year was slow. I've either limited quickly or wound up just getting a couple after working the entire incoming tide.
BTW, Coyote Rock usually has mink for bait.

As far as fishing, I've always thought it was a Kwikie show, unless it was slack tide, and then it was mostly bobbers while a few people kept trolling. At least that's what I've seen down there. :shrug:

[ 09-08-2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I have ran Slider with 6" droper to a small jet diver clear with flash on it. 4' leeter with a alvin or a spinner or my Favorite a pure silver Brads wobbler... Took my 48lb'er on that one last year. Look for some rains to pick up the fishing and give those outside tidewater fish a taste of fresh they will move in and it will get hot... So will the crowds... I fished it for the last 4 weeks with little success coming in at low slack on a bobber most fish are being taken on herring right now not becuase that is the bait..but because 90% of the folks are fishing them seen some good fish come in on kwikfish or Flatfish too... But if you like to troll during the bite I just rig it up with a good ole diver and your favorite lure and have fun... good luck... I'am usually around 11-15 pulls around coyote and 11-13 around chinook bend on my diver adjusting it for depth ofcourse as you know that river has lots of 6' to 9' areas after the good 20-30' holes so you need to watch bouncing bottom with the diver but it is much easier to me then lead... Good luck maybe see ya out there...Maroon Alumaweld with a heavy set guy in it :smile:

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

GotFish, did you catch that hog on the day of the Salmon Derby last year, but weren't registered for it? If so, I think I talked to you at the dock. I've told a few people about that fish. 48#'s as I remember. I'd say you won reguardless...

What's the rule of thumb for trolling herring? With the tide or against it?

Next weekend I'll be in a 18' Gregor with red, white and, blue stripe. The following weekend I'll be in the Coyote Rock split seat Smoker rental. Sure sign will be my dog pacing back and forth in the boat. Say hi.

Freak

·
Registered
516 Posts
I often run divers when others aren't but in the Siletz I usually run the bannana weight because it is pretty shallow.

Heed 1pump's advice on the channel. When you go under the 101 bridge keep to the right side, when you get 2-3 hundred yards from the bridge look across the bay and you will see a small concrete slab that is a crummy little boat ramp. Head for that (look behind you and there are two big mountain tops, I keep myself lined up in the V of the two tops and the boat ramp) About 30 yards from the boat ramp head right (Stay next to the houses, Left side). I either start crabbing at the last house back, behind the point, or go past the point and line up with the Mo's dock and crab from the South entrance back to the point.

If you are going to crab go out at low tide for the first trip out and mark points with a GPS. I launch at the ramp below the 101 bridge. The guy is much nicer/informative than Coyote Rock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a quick note on the Siletz. I have been fishing it for a long time and for the first time last year I fond a technique that alot of people overlook in tidewater. (Bobber and eggs!!!! :wink: ) Why do you think the guides on that river dont sit in those hog lines...??? I personally had my best year last year fishing tidewater using bobber and eggs. If you want to know more shoot me an e-mail. I don't know alot about it, but if you go to my website at the bottom of this post you will see the 55 lber I took last year on bobber and eggs in the Siletz!!! That technique is active fishing, and it works!! LuckyDuck1

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Bobber is Da way... :smile:

FreakWater Yes that was me last year...How I look at it was if I would of took 5 minutes to go pay my $5.00 I would of missed that fish..He was heading right for the Bobber Boats at the 35' rock hole before windy Bend.. He was a goner for sure :smile:

Bobber and eggs is always a good Choice if done correctly is more lethal than any Hog line :cheers:

I will shout otu if I see ya out there I got rid of my old Green Machine I now drive around the Maroon Alumaweld... You can't miss me look for the trail of smoke and the heavy dude... :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts