IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading down to the Gleneden beach area for a long weekend with some extra time on my hands and I have never fished the Siletz. I would appreciate any info on fishing the river. I know that I am too early for those fall chinook bruisers, but maybe sea-run cutts? or summers? I am leaving my boat at home so it will be a bank show. Thanks in advance for any info on river access, techniques etc. It would be greatly appreciated!
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I've never fished the Siletz lower than morgan park. I think that is about 10 up from the mouth. Limeted access there but enough to spend a couple of hours especially if your a wader. Access is mostly down as river runs pretty low at ramp and down. Ramp and up is to deep to wade but has some access from bank. If you put in another 1/2 hour at most you can continue to drive up river. Follow lodgson(spelling is incorrect- sorry) to Moonshine Park. Lots of access at the park or continue past park and up logging road, you'll gain easy access to the river a mile up the gravel road. If you come to a swinging metal gate, make sure the access above gate is posted open. It belongs to a company that may not want you driving past the gate. In the old days you could walk in. I'm not so sure now. But regardless, the area before the gate has plenty of fishing. Summer steelhead, cutthroat trout. It's worth the extra effort.

[ 06-16-2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: cully ]

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Originally posted by cully:
I've never fished the Siletz lower than morgan park. I think that is about 10 up from the mouth. Limeted access there but enough to spend a couple of hours especially if your a wader. Access is mostly down as river runs pretty low at ramp and down. Ramp and up is to deep to wade but has some access from bank. If you put in another 1/2 hour at most you can continue to drive up river. Follow lodgson(spelling is incorrect- sorry) to Moonshine Park. Lots of access at the park or continue past park and up logging road, you'll gain easy access to the river a mile up the gravel road. If you come to a swinging metal gate, make sure the access above gate is posted open. It belongs to a company that may not want you driving past the gate. In the old days you could walk in. I'm not so sure now. But regardless, the area before the gate has plenty of fishing. Summer steelhead, cutthroat trout. It's worth the extra effort.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

G

·
Around the 4th, on a typical year, especially after some rain, there will be fish at Moonshine and below. Ask the Logsden Store or the Manager at Moonshine Park what is going on and check the regs for how high in the Siletz Gorge is restricted now. You'll have to check information for phone numbers these days or someone probably knows on here.

We always let the July 4th crowds clear out and then went up and caught them in July.

As light as leader 6 to 8 as you can go. Plain ole' hook and a sandshrimp, splitshot, no color, always did it for us. Takes lots of Shrimp up with you when it's hot weather and keep them cool. Long run back if you run out.

Hope you get some.

Rick

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! I will probably give it a try on Thurs. and Fri. I will post a report next Mon.
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts