IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the family camping up to Moonshine Park for 3 days this week. I haven't fished the Siletz since I was a kid. Is the Summer Steelhead fishing around the park area worth the effort or do I need to go further up the canyon? Oh, yeah the kids want to know if we should bring the crawfish traps. I think they're more interested in swimming all day than fishing.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by Flathead:
Taking the family camping up to Moonshine Park for 3 days this week. I haven't fished the Siletz since I was a kid. Is the Summer Steelhead fishing around the park area worth the effort or do I need to go further up the canyon? Oh, yeah the kids want to know if we should bring the crawfish traps. I think they're more interested in swimming all day than fishing.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Hey Flathead,
Fishing on the Siletz has been declining, and fairly rapidly as of late. Extremely low and warm water. Very spooky fish, I would suggest not using "hardware" if you go fishing. Crawfish traps can be fairly productive, if you find the right spot. There are a couple of areas right in the park that I believe would be productive for them.
The main thing here is, and I don't mean to be rude or upset Jennie (I read your post about caps-lock), but it seems like evertime a post about the Siletz comes up, I have to say it again: THE SILETZ GORGE ROAD IS NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC DURING THE WEEK. Not at night, not in the morning, not during the week, period. A friend of my dad's got a $1000 ticket for being up there once. No joke. Another person I know told me the fee has increased to $5000. They're serious, I know some people at Plum Creek, and I'm a member of the Siletz River SOLV program. We've been experiencing some problems up there which is not attractive to Plum Creek Timber Company. Also, I don't expect the gorge and surrounding areas to be open to the public or anyone else at all fairly soon. Wareheuser and Boise have both closed their lands on the upper river due to fire danger. I recieved an e-mail from Plum Creek saying their land will most likely be closing down soon, as well.
A few parting words: there is good water downstream from Moonshine. Most landowners are willing to let you fish on their land if you ask them politely. Try it, I think it's worth it. More importantly, I love the Siletz river. It's the only place I've ever been where I feel at home. Please be respectful of the river, especially in the park. I know it can get kind of crazy this time of year, and the park hosts will have their hands full. If you see game violations (there have been some, and be aware that 'trout' are either cutthroat or FINCLIPPED steelhead smolts), and report them. Keep that river sparkly clean, too! But most of all, have some fun, and catch some darn fish! It's no secret they're up there! Gimme a report when ya get back.
Oh yes, *cough* red jigs *cough* :wink:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
*cough* nightcrawlers and cut red bead *caugh*

*Hack* clearbobbers *hack*

*gag* whats up sparkie? lets fish! *gag*

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by Row Vs. Wade:
*cough* nightcrawlers and cut red bead *caugh*

*Hack* clearbobbers *hack*

*gag* whats up sparkie? lets fish! *gag*
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What up! I'm game! I probably won't head back up there for a while, though. Busy, and fire danger will most certainly close the land for a while :-(
What do you drive, I may have seen you up there before?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I drive a truck identical to "Cirrhosis of the rivers" dakota 4x4 xcab (white)....I used to have 2 73 chevs, but some guy over towards you stole one of them.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by Row Vs. Wade:
I drive a truck identical to "Cirrhosis of the rivers" dakota 4x4 xcab (white)....I used to have 2 73 chevs, but some guy over towards you stole one of them.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Were you up there last Sunday? Gravel pit/boudler patch area?
Hey, it wasn't ME who stole it!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
No traps needed, you will do really well using salmon heads for bait, just put a rock in their mouths. We got about 1/2 of a 5 gal. bucket in a couple of hours 2 weeks ago...

We were at the second green bridge out of town...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
hey guys, when the gorge road says closed does it mean to vehicles or walk in also. I believe it means both. Correct?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by cully:
hey guys, when the gorge road says closed does it mean to vehicles or walk in also. I believe it means both. Correct?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Everything when it's due to fire danger. However, I'm pretty sure you can walk in, as long as you're out of everyone's way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, everybody. It's really a family outing just to get away. But, when the kids are swimming I thought I would get a line wet somewhere. I'll probably just stay away from the gorge road issue and head down stream.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts