IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished most of the day and covered a lot of water. Had one good looking fish on for about two minutes, toyed with it because I had little confidence in my knots with the Magnathin I was using. (anyone else use this line, not sure Im happy with my first spool) Spit the hook the first time its head faced me.

Anyway, I did see many fish, a few quite large, but they payed no attention to my shrimp, and ignored several different spinners too, except for the one I hooked, dark green #4 vibrax, silver blade with the back painted black.

Anyone else fish Siletz today? Any luck?

Im thinking I should have been there early, nice cloud cover, a little breeze to ripple the water, my first cast at about noon boom, the sun hit the water and the breeze disappeared...along with the hungry fish.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
cotr- Maybe try a # 1 or #2 spinner, something really ugly and dark especially if fishing after it gets light. A #4 with a silver blade probably put them into a coma! even with the back painted black. Its only my opinion, but for me smaller has always worked better for summers. Try and find a copy of Jed Davis's book on spinner fishing. Sometimes he's a little too indepth for most fishermen, but if you apply some of the basic princples he describes your summer run success should go up. Only a thought, good luck. Mike

·
Banned
553 Posts
I didnt touch a fish today! My buddie played one for about 5 minutes, broke him off. My little brother bonked a re-run 6-7 lber. Me no touchie!!! Threw shrimp most of the day, they seemed to dodge it after a bit. Spotted quite a few big boys.

COR, I didnt get your message until this evening, that would've been cool, maybe another time?

KC

[ 07-06-2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: KleanCut ]

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Fished it for a couple hours friday with no results. LOTS of people in the canyon. Played with one for almost an hour trying to get it to go and couldnt - it was a monster too. Tossed the whole tackle box at them - eggs, shrimp, spinners, corkies........There's definitely fish in there though.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, I AM Jed Davis.

Seriously, I threw everything I had at them, #1s were taking small fish, and though many people call these "trout" They are steel and salmon juvies, dont want to kill 'em until it takes a baseball bat to do it.

Some good advice though, and a topic we should soon discuss.... casting spinners in shallow clear water.

The #4 or even a #5 has worked wonders for me in the past, but only in one application. tossing them in front or on top of a parially-submersed rock, and having the hog hidden behind it serve a hostile eviction notice when it rolls to the backside.

Colors is another issue, you have a point, need to diversify. What looks good to me doesnt mean it looks good to those picky salmonids.
I watched a number of fish roll into current today, and just let it sweep them downstream, only to display a belly flop and sip a few flies in a stagnant pool.

Ill be bringing a flyrod next time out, as sunny and still as it was today, topwater was prolly the only thing a person could do (well, maybe not for sparkleboy :wink: )

Let me know what specific spinners you had in mind.... I watched people try pink worms, drag the bottom with shrimp, bobber and shrimp...corks and scent..nobody had a fish.

Thanks for the tip

G

·
Plain sand shrimp (scented for me,) no color, small terminal tackle (or no terminal tackle, just splitshot) no more than 8 pound test main line, long and light as leader as you dare.

Love the holes below Moonshine. Stay off the crazy folks property though.

Rick

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Try crawdad tails, small bass rubber craws and brush hogs. Low clear water and sounds like a lot of pressure, so try off things.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
What is the water temp? If it is above 62-63 degrees, they get weird about biting. At least on a regular basis. I stay at home before it hits 65 degrees.

Little black spinners. Panther martins in fast water and a blue fox evwerywhere else. #0,1,2, and 3s in the early mornings.

Or a K-12 in Rocket red if the spinner fails. Try little and dark first. If that fails, fling the plug at them til they leave the tailout, or hit the thing. You will need some lead in front of the plug. Cast, swing, and step.

And no, I am not drinking. It don't work all the time, but often enough to justify the effort.

Mark and the still has a couple tricks left dog.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Water temp is the main key here. It should be approaching too warm (65+) although sometimes the siletz fish respond well in water up to 67 or 68 degrees. I have noticed that when it is that warm, when the water temp is dropping down to 65 is better than the water raising to 65.
I agree with flatfish about spinner sizes and colors, with the water that warm I have done well with all black spinners as small as size "0" My favorite is a ugly brushed burnt brass with dark green prism, cant buy them like this, but you could come reasonably close at home with a little work.
I also agree with the red or orange kwikfish or u-20 flat fish, if you cant cast them to the fish, slide on some hollow core pencil lead about 2 or 3 feet up.
You may even want to drift fish some flies at um. HINT!!! Small, dark and ugly. Good luck, Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts