IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be heading over to that area this weekend; any crabbing reports? Can my 19' jet boat do okay in the bay and where to launch? Go to Yaquina instead? Thanks in advance.

[ 10-16-2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: fishingfever ]

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
At Siletz I usually launch at the free "ramp" just upstream from the marina, but a 4X4 is advisable since the ramp is just dirt and gravel, and can be a pain when the tide is out. Actually, my boat is a lot smaller and lighter than yours, so I wouldn't recommend it to you.
There's always Coyote Rock
and the marina next to the highway. There's also a beat-up ramp on the seaward side of the bay (on the spit). I've never used it, but it looks OK. It might be a bit of a drive to get to, but at least you won't have to run the channel and risk hitting a deadhead. Speaking of that, the river mouth is full of them, and outside the channel the bay is only a couple of feet deep, but since you have a jet it shouldn't be a big deal. I've seen plenty of boats get stuck out there when they swung too wide (or cut the corner) making the turn to go upriver. I run it with a prop, and other than grazing the bottom once or twice I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 1Pump. Maybe dragging the drifter out there is a better idea, but I wanted to fish Yaquina one day...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Went Crabbing at Yaquina sunday, only got 6 dungeness and 2 red rocks. They were hard shelled and full. I started at the Marine Science Center and ended up at marker 12 & 14. I left early to avoid the sunday trafic jam at Spirit Mountain.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I believe the "free" ramp on the Siletz is now posted private property. I would launch at depoe bay before I would launch at coyote rock.

·
Registered
344 Posts
talked to a guy that was going out to siletz bay saturday and he said in a hour him and his dad had there limit on friday ..... and of course i went fishing instead :hoboy:

·
Registered
320 Posts
last week at tillimook, by the south jetty. 21 keepers in 2 traps on one pull. crabbed only on the high tide with shad. awesome. everyone there was getting lots.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I went two weekends ago to Siuslaw.... very good crabbing. Got 8 in an hour and a half, and quit. We were camping and didn't need any more than that.

Went fishing this last weekend on Yaquina. People seemed to be doing okay on the crabs. My buddy in another boat got 4 crabs... on two pots and only one one pull (set em before fishing, retrieve on the way to the dock). But.. one of the crabs was starting to go soft.

Don't have any current info on Siletz crabbing.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
The "free" launch has always been private property, unfortunately it was posted due to constant garbage being dumped and RVers pitching camp without permission.

As far as crabbing Siletz bay, if you have a depth finder, go for it. The channel is difficult to find during high tides without one.
Many boats have run aground on the way out there so keep a heads up and take it easy out there.

Good luck, I'll offer a Zippered piece of advice, if you have a bit of patience, bring a sturgeon rod. 54 incher last time out there :wink:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, crabbing was great in Siletz Bay. Low pressure, lots of crabs. We could have limited the 4 days we were out there, but we took what we needed. Some soft/light ones were also thrown back. Some old sardine scent with chicken did the trick.

The river fishing was not good for us, very slow, and did not hear of any being caught.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts