IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got handed our *ss’s today on the island by our neighbors. They absolutely hammered them today. I know they had at least six guys probably eight. (I bet they shot 40 birds or more!). We shot six. The frustrating thing was the ducks didn’t even look at us! It was like they were on a rail directly into them, with out even looking at us. Now these guys are defiantly dialed in. Good callers lots of decoys, three spinners. But what gets me is that the ducks are still in the stratosphere and are locked up on this spot. Now nobody is that good. Our ponds are planted with the same crops, Corn around the edge and millet in the pond. I stayed late after hours just to watch the show and the sky was black with ducks bombing into their field. Very few in ours. What is up? The good thing is that there are lots of birds on the island; bad news is our pond stinks! Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that they may be sweating the pond with something extra. But I don’t think so because how do you spike a pond full of standing seed?? It is going to be a long season if I don’t figure it out soon. Any ideas?

· Banned
5,336 Posts
They have the sheer numbers, lots of spinning wing dekes, lots of floaters.

Ducks like to be around other ducks.

If 1/2 dozen dekes is comfrotable to be around, then 6 dozen must seem like a party, and really easy to spot from the air!

Dont feel bad, I went out today and didn't get a single bird, and it ws rough as hell on the Water. Especially with a flatbottom boat.

The birds just didn't want to be where i thought they would want to be.

I think they are heading out to the sheetwater in the fields, and with another inch or so of rain coming, look out.

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have spot for two hunters tomarrow morining if you would like to witness this spectical and maybe get a crack at a few. Who knows? Tomarrow is a new day but I have a feeling it's going to be the same deal.

· Registered
1,723 Posts
i know of a few places on the island that shot alot of birds today. most of the birds were heading for large areas of open water with the feed on the edge. is that how your club is set up? i have seen the ducks use an area that is set up in a north/south setup and avoid areas that are in a east/west setup. is everything on the other club the exact same as your club? dekes set up the same? good callers?

i would avoid saying that someone may be baiting a field unless i knew for sure ( i saw what you said, and still wanted to comment on it- no flame meant :angel1:). sometimes it is just what the birds want in the beginning of the season and not where they will be later. good luck tomorrow.

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The way the ponds are set up we are on a east/west and they are on a north/south the duck come from the east to the west directly in front of us to them. We call ok and have probaly six doz. deeks. Only have one spinner and it is at the mercy on the wind. I take back the comment about the spiking..

· Registered
6,824 Posts
All I can say is Location Location Location...they have it and you don't.

Sometimes a couple hundred yards can make all the difference!!

I'm sorry you are having to go through this :depressed:. It would be killing me!!

Jon

· Registered
452 Posts
LOL cursed job, Friday's and the weekends where my days off, but now i got myself a job to go along with school and FishFaced has an open seat, :sick: :noway: :redface: I need a tissue.

· Registered
3,748 Posts
Fishfaced, depending on how big the water is, 6 dozen dekes can get lost. :wink:

Also, I am not a big fan of wind-ducks. Yes they work, but I prefer a pull string style. Wind or no wind you can work the spinner. Also, if they ducks want just a little flash, you can give it to them without flaring them.

As far as spread goes, try mixing it up. Go with fewer dekes, like maybe six drake pintails and just a pair of mallards. Try using a jerk cord or two to really put some ripples on the water.

Don't forget, the ducks may be hitting the other pond now, but it they could 'burn it out' before too long. There are still lots of ducks to come and lots of the season left. :wink:

I am sure none of this is news to you, but keep at it and things will turn around soon enough. :cool:

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well today was a totaly diffrent day on SI. Birds got out 5 minn early and never came back. I did rearange the deeks and got the spinners but nothing to show it off to. The neighbors probaly scrached a dozen or so. We gave up about 10:30 it was windy and overcast. Very quiet all around. Thanks for all the ideas and hearing my rant, I was totally frustrated and had to get it off my chest and my dog was tiard of hearing about it! It must be PDHS! (Post Duck hunt Syndrome). I'll let you know when the worm turns!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.