IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article, a long time ago, that detailed a way to set up a system that would keep sand shrimp alive at home for over a month. It involved a refrigerator, fish aquarium, and some other apparatus. I can no longer find the article and would desire to set up such a system. Does anyone have any idea's about this setup? It may have been talked about before but my search has led me nowhere helpful.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I wish I could help. I've heard it is tricky getting the right salinity.
You might try giving Estacada tackle(503-630-7424) a call, they run a live well, probably the best set-up I've seen and the shrimp keep a loooong time.
On the other hand this sounds like a real good way to to get on the bad side of your spouse unless you have TWO refridgerators!!! :grin:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I found this info on the internet. I hope this helps.
All you need is a cooler with some ice in it and a large towel. Buy some live Shrimp, wet your towel with the water the Shrimp came with, then fold the towel in half and place it on the ice in the cooler, then lift the top layer of towel and place the Shrimp all over the towel in a single layer , then fold the top layer of towel back down so all the Shrimp are covered, then close the lid . After a few minutes in the cooler the Shrimp will look like they are dead but they aren't. They are in a state of suspended animation. and will stay that way for 24 hrs. or more.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The Ol F-rts that fish nearly every week day down here in the estuary, go away from the beach and buy their sand shrimp in lots of 500. Then they freeze them and use only as much as they figure they will need in a day. The local bait guy that sells live shrimp goes down to the beach and collects sea water in 5 gallom buckets, puts his shrimp in one of those big igloo coolers, aerates the water and puts 2 liter pop bottles of ice that he freezes in there. He keeps bait for about 10 days. Changes the water about every 4 days. They say its the urine that causes them to turn black and die. I guess I would too, if I had to live in my own yuck.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
>>>They say its the urine that causes them to turn black and die. I guess I would too, if I had to live in my own yuck. <<<

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The live shrimp I buy from Bob's has a sponge like material in the bottom of the container that soaks up the urine and they live several days in the fridge. :cool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
FYI,
If you want to keep your shrimp fresh here is a little tip. Take a tupperware dish put a unscented paper towel on the bottom and pour a small amount of cold bottled water on the bottom, not tap water. Just enough to dampen the towel. Then take some sea salt, not iodized and sprinkle it on the wet towel. Immediatly after you purchase or pump your shrimp spread them out in your dish and refrigerate. Your ready to go. I have kept them alive and frisky for days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts