IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys bait up your shrimp for sturgeon? I have read the info reguarding the anchovies, but how do you do it with sand shrimp? Do you use the stretchy thread? Whole shrimp or just the tail? I am heading out tonight for my first time in the estuary. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Use them whole.

Run the hook through the tail once, then again (starting at the end) and then through the head. Half hitch the end of the tail.

If the trash fish are bad wrap the shrimp rigged this way with elastic thread. Afther you catch a sturgeon or get picked on by a poggie just hold a new shrimp next to the old one and wrap up tight with more thread.

I've caught a lot of fish on just a bunch of shrimp crud and string just by adding more shrimp and more thread until there's just a big gob of it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I use some of that red spawn sack stuff. Take a shrimp or 2 and roll it up in a peice of the mesh then thread it on the hook with most of the bait above the hook then wrap it up tight with stretchy thread. I have caught 4-5 fish on one bait this way. If you use just staight shrimp you better hook the fish quick or you will lose your bait. If it is wrappped on they will keep coming back for more.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
SeaRunner Jim,
It can be purchased at nearly all tackle supply stores. Originally marketed to make egg cluster balls for home cure. It comes in a roll and in 2 sizes, 3" and 4" I believe and is usually Red in color.

:cheers:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Jim,I think I've seen it at most major fishing stores,G.Joe's,Fisherman's etc.but if you can't find it there,I would use elastic sting,you can find it at craft stores or sewing shops,it comes in black or white.If you realy want to get crafty,go to a store that sells fly fishing equipment and buy a large size spoll holder,cut a piece of ink pen tubeing a little longer than the elastic string spool,put the ink pen tube inside the sting spool to keep it from colapsing the thread spool.This works great for quik tying on the shrimp!!Also thread a couple of worms on with the shrimp before putting on the thread!!!

[ 05-31-2003, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Nodakr ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
We rig shrimp similar to Dave Johnson but stack them from the start.

Take the shrimp and thread the hook through the very end of the tail, up the tail, through the body and out the head. Now pull on the tail so the shrimp is threaded up the leader. Take another shrimp and stack it on the first that is threaded and wrap them with Ghost Cacoon thread. Inject the first with your favoirte scent, leave the first one to kick around and you are ready to fish.

I know this sounds confusing so the next time we go fishing I will take pictures.

:cheers:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ya,I know I haven't told my fish story yet!!I'll make up,I mean I'll post a story later,when I get back from the fishing swap meet!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
5-Cents: Just want to let you know I appreciate your offer of taking those snaps of your rigging.
Also didn't want you to forget. :smile:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info every one. I just got back from Astoria. It was my first time there for Sturgeon and all I could find were shakers. Dave I really appreciate your input, it sure did help. All of the fish I caught were all hooked on big balls of shrimp and thread. There is sure a lot of water over there. I hope to do better the next time. I moved all over the place but to no avail. I tried anchovies, smelt, hering, prawns and of course the shrimp. Never got a bite on any thing other than the shrimp. Great weekend on the coast weather wise...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts