IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Nice eggs. Your wife see the towel yet, and if so, when do you get to come back in the house? :cool:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
A combination of two commercial cures, Pro Glow and Pro Cure.

Here's all I do:

Bleed fish.

Take skein and cut fully in half (lengthwise)

Run each skein under cold tap water, taking your thumb and getting in all the folds to remove all the blood. Push all blood out of the veins/vessels.

Put the cleaned skiens in a strainer and let sit for 10 minutes or so.

Cut skeins in to 2-3" chunks and put in jar with pre-mixed dry cure. Shake/mix well.

I will let each jar cure in the fridge for 4 days, turning over the jar every 6 hours.

Once cured, the jars go in the freezer.

To use, I just take out a jar the night before I go fishing. If I want to toughen up the eggs, I'll let them sit over night on a paper towel, with a piece of saran wrap *lightly* placed over the eggs.

Deadly.

I need to try the Ammerman cure. The one thing I've learned is that on any given day, one cure will always out fish the others. It is always good to have a variety of eggs, especially when fishing for kings. Steelhead don't seem to be that picky. Heck, they will even bite KingFisher85's eggs! :grin:

[ 10-29-2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: parker ]

·
Registered
410 Posts
Anyone know where I can buy some fresh eggs uncured? I had plenty of eggs and went with Ammermans but GI Joes only had the Steelhead cure and come to find out after last weekend the coho arent to happy to bite that cure. Ended up going with a Jenson rubber egg that actually didnt do to bad. Its getting late in the season and feel like I need to stock up more on eggs.
SS

3,877 Posts
Siverslinger... Those be allot of egs there :shocked: :shocked:

Parker, your right on regarding having many different types in your arsenol...

My favorites in no certain order are:

My Home Brew
Ammermans
Priddy Good Egg Cure
Quick Cure

All of these have been know to catch fish but like you said... some days they a very picky.

Good luck all & tight lines.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My dear sweet one freaked me out :shocked: the other day by placing a jar of tomatoes in the spot my eggs were in. She thought it was really funny. :grin: I might, a little later...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my cure only takes 4 hours to do. first you go to the guide shop and get their cure. any color you would like or mix a couple of colors.
as soon as you catch that hen, reach in and grab the gills and rip them out, she will bleed all the way out before she dies. DO NOT take the eggs out of the fish until you get home. the safest place for the eggs is in the fish,
when you get home carefully take the eggs out of her (do not wash them, if you followed the directions you will have very little blood in them at all) and split them lengthwise and cut them into bait sized pieces, then lay them out on newspaper. take the cure and sprinkle some on the eggs, use your hands and mix them up a little, then sprinkle some more on them and mix. each bag will cure about 15 lbs of eggs so use the cure accordingly. after you have them all mixed up, put them in a large zip lock bag, and put them in the fridge. roll them around a little every hour for about 4 hours. them take them out and lay them out skein down on a bath towel(goodwill is where I get mine) let dry for about 2 to 3 hours then turn them over and let dry overnight. in the morning you will have a great egg. you can pick them up and not get any goo on your hands. if you like a wet egg you can just leave them in the cure and they will reabsorb the liquid. I personally like the drier egg.
I hope this curing method helps out someone out there. give it a try and let me know how you like it. :cheers:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Parker, Thanks for the info, I might try that next time. I like to use Pro-cure, they seem to be the best cure for Salmon. But for Steelhead, I like to just use Borax. :dance:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Run each skein under cold tap water, taking your thumb and getting in all the folds to remove all the blood. Push all blood out of the veins/vessels.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Is your tap water chlorinated? I dont think they like chlorine very much. Might try just getting a jug of distilled water at the store, or filling up a couple jugs on the river.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Dunno. I know there is flouride in Seattle's water, and I'd suspect there is *some* CL in the water, but probably not much. I'd bet the ppm's are WAY WAY low for CL.

In any case, fish don't seem to mind Seattle water. I *know* this for a fact. :wink:

What fish *do* mind is fish blood.

I'd much rather rinse the living snot out of a skein and remove all traces of blood than to worry about some ppm of chemicals in the water.

OH and yes, my fish are well bled. Even so, there is always blood in the eggs. Maybe not a lot, but some. Rinse it out! Or don't, as it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Kentucky Hog Hunter,
I just wanted to thank you again. I now feel that my arsinal is back where it was a year ago. Well that is when I get some fresh eggs to do up in Carols cure. :dance:
tip

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Wow! I LOVE those eggs! Now I have to go take a picture of mine! I'm so PROUD of mine!!!!

Dang! What is it about fresh cured eggs that make you just want to jump in and roll in them? :smile: :smile:

Jen

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts