IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get a "for sure" answer on wether or not camping is allowed along the Columbia River shores of Sauvies Island. The spot Im interested in is between Reeder point and Willow point. I believe the ruling along waterways is that "Public can access the shoreline below the high water mark." I also know that the wildlife reserve on the north end of Sauvie Island is off limits. The place I am interested in is south of the reserve. I contacted a Columbia Co marine patrol officer that confirmed this to be true. He reported that this spot is not on the reserve. He also commented that it should be OK, but didn't know if it is private land or not. We have asked other agencies with varied responses. Does anyone have experience camping in this area, or know what the rulling is for sure?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Kid i fish around the island alot and have never seen anyone camping their. That tells me something, anyway you might be interested in knowing that there is a over-night dock on the channel side of the island below the Sauvie Island bridge for those who sail. their's also a boat ramp between the bridge and dock, You could launch the boat their and tie up to the dock for the night, if you sleep in your boat.

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
River Kid, from your description (Willow Bar to Reeder Beach) the area is within Multnomah County. Therefore, if a landowner complains about your making camp on the beach, you would be dealing with Multnomah County Sheriffs Dept. and it may make the most sense to contact them with your question.

"Access" does not mean 'unregulated'. For example, the stretch you described used to have Mult.Co. signs prohibiting vehicles on the beach. (I think the '96 flood took those signs away) It's possible the county also enacted regulations about camping on the Columbia beaches within Multnomah County.

Interesting question, let us know what you find out from the authorities.

Of course if you camp within your boat, anchored within the river, all your access problems go away.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Be aware that ODFW has had problems with squatters out there. Not recently that I'm aware of, but in years past. The squatters lived on an old boat anchored a few feet off shore, but kept their cars parked on ODFW land and caused problems that are still having an effect today. :mad:

The only public land I'm aware of that isn't part of SIWMA is Bybee-Howell Park, Hayden Marine Park, and the Ferry Rd boat ramp.
I've camped across the river on the WA side, and so have a lot of other people. It might be part of the Ridgefield refuge over there, but nobody bothered us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts