IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For an early grad present I get to go to the Kenai
and do some fishing...Alaska Fishing Academy. I just was wondering if any of you have ever shiped fish back with you in coolers as checked bags on the plane? that's the plan it beats the high prices of shipping it threw a packing company.
2 checked coolers at 70 lbs each = lots of meat at no extra charge to ship!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ditto on the waxed cardboard boxes. Not really a need for coolers unless you cant freeze the catch before coming home. Every time I've been there we would flash freeze the fish & either vac pac or freezer wrap, pack in the nifty Alaska Airlines boxes with a little newspaper for added insulation, tape closed with duct tape, label in SEVERAL SPOTS. Should still be hard as a rock when you get home. Be prepared and get detailed airline shipping info from who you are flying with. Alaska Air has always been easy to deal with, but it never hurts to know in advance what is allowed and what the extra charges can be if you have too much.
Good luck and take lots of pict.
Mike

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Lamiglass Drifter,
Send me an email, I'll put you on some fish while your up here.
Tight lines
WRO

·
Registered
594 Posts
Right-on Keta :cool:
Yeah, check to see if there are freezer services near your camping destination. IMHO plan to purchase your "70 pound fish-box" as Keta described from Air Cargo Services such as float plane operation headquarters ON YOUR WAY INTO CAMP, BUT BEFORE CAMP! I'd start asking to buy fish-boxes when you first touch down in Alaska. They are sold folded flat and take very little room to take with you into camp. Good folks up there carry 'em around like the daily newspaper. If you need one, buy two just in case. If you don't use two, you will sell the extra fish-box at camp no problem. Freeze often and freeze hard as much as possible before packing the box. Bring the 4" wide fiberglass strapping tape from home to use to secure your fish-box. Label the outside of the fish-box with correct fish contents, ( COHO, CHINOOK, HALIBUT, DUNGENESS ) and your shipping destination information. Place the fish-box back in the freezer until you have to depart your camp. You will want to keep your fish-box cold as much as you can, obviously, before boarding jets home. If you have to overnight in route home, nicer hotel restaurants may keep your treasure in freezers if you can trust 'em and slap-em a $20. Keep it cold until you find freezer room back home. Any 12 hour run without a freezer will be no problem for ya thata-way.
Congratulations on your graduation :cheers:

Be safe and please tell us another story after your return. I'll be watchin out for ya :wink:

·
Registered
68 Posts
lamiglas drifter,
I've done both: taken a cooler and packed frozen fish from Alaska as checked baggage, and bought the waxed cardboard boxes at grocery store in Alaska and packed frozen fish in those as well. Stick to 70 pounds or less per box, as the airlines are getting more strict these days. The key is to travel with frozen fish. I've also packed fresh fish among frozen packets which worked out well. My trip is 3 hours from Oregon, but a friend tarvelled to LA and lost his bag, picked it up 24 hours later, and the content were still cool. Same thing happened to a friend travelling to NY. I think you can also pack with dry ice, but there are limits -- check the airline's policy on line.

·
Registered
92 Posts
we have shipped fish back in a cooler before. I can't remenber the name of the place but it is near the airport. you can drop off fish in between trips ( i.e. between the kenai and clear creek or where ever) and they will put it in their freezer for you until you pick it up on your way back home. don't forget to label them though.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
yep, the coolers are a waste. I had to repack the fish in the cardboard once I got to the airport. A surprise I was not planning for, so we had to scramble. once packed, duct tape the corners and such for durablility. insulate the frozen meat with paper, duble bag it and you should be good.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
When you buy the boxes see if you can get a couple of heavy plastic liners for each one, too. Line the box, pack the fish, slip the other liner over the top, and add the lid. The plastic will help cut down on air infiltration/exfiltration if a box gets ripped in handling. (Helps to keep the contents frozen.)
If you haven't been to Alaska before, take twice as much film as you think you need! Take an old guy, too. Then, if you get attacked by a grizzly you won't have to outrun the bear, just outrun the old guy!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've done both routes, cooler and boxes. A good cooler will last forever and can be used at home. The fish box is lighter(meaning more pounds of fish) but sits all year, and hope its there for next year. If you go the cooler route be sure it complies with the size restrictions they have on baggage. We always took the big(white) 100 quart coolers, now they cost an extra 50$ they are over size.
I'll be in and around Soldotna/Homer July1 - 12th,
Look for the ifish hat :grin:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was planning on taking 1 or 2 big(white) 150 quart coolers but they are oversized...It sounds like the wax box is the way to go. thanks for the help everyone.
I'll take lots of pictures...if I get a chance to put my rod down do to all of the fish I hope to catch:)

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Watch the number of pieces of luggage. Consolidate if possible. Duct tape is a must, tape all rod cases into one piece or get/make a multiple rod tube.
Tape anything together if it can stay under 70 lbs.
When you did curbside check-in you could tip the guys to ignore the luggage #. $50 would get the extra pieces on board and prioritized to come off the plane first at your destination. :wink:
It won't work with the witches at the counter. (Did I spell that right?)

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Get on line and check out the weight restrictions! I'm going to Fairbanks next week, and there is a 50 pound max on my bags. I understand that the airlines are getting really sticky about the weight too. Oh yeah, no dry ice is allowed. It releases CO (I think) which can build up in the hold and put any live critters down there to sleep.

When I not judging dogs, I'll be flyfishing (almost finished building a 4 piece #6 rod), but am going "down river" after the hunt tests to go for a half day of salmon (silvers and kings I think) that the club has arranged for me.

james

If I bring any fish home, I just ship my other luggage UPS!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Does this work for other game too?

I'm looking into a hunting trip in August/September and was wondering how I could get my deer meat home. Has anyone ever used a 'fish box' or cooler for that? I assume the same restrictions would apply regardless of the meat. Any other pointers to think about? I was leaning towards the Wrangell area.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Bounty Hunter-
Alaska airlines has cold storage frieght capabilities. We froze the meat (800 lbs)at a fish processing plant, then took it to an airport where AA delivered it to PDX 3 days later. Just takes $$$!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I suggest packing the fish BEFORE going out for a big steak dinner (Sullivan's - Anchorage - YES) and several Tanqueray & Tonics ...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
We went to Kodiak last summer. I bought four coolers while I was there(the type with wheels on one end-made life easier in the airport). We packed all four full of fish (frozen, as we had access to a freezer while we were there), and didn't have any problem at all getting them on the plane as baggage. The employee at the counter put the correct stickers on the cooler stating that it contained fish and away we went!

Have fun and don't forget the bug spray. Try Natrapel if you are looking for a good one. I won one in this contest and it is awesome.

Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts