IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else who can't sleep? Fred's everywhere are having a get-it-off-the-back-shelf-sale at 7 a.m. and I found one down in the valley with a lot of fishing stuff. It's only advertised this morning...kind of an Easter sunrise sale of some sort.
I'm heading for the ambassadeur reels, but there are also a lot of Shimano Corsairs. I'm not a Shimano guy, but 15 to 20 bucks seems pretty good.
Anyone know how good they might be?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Initially I thought they were gold but they don't hold up for me...went through two in two years...switched to other types....ambassadeur reels are way tougher in my opinion. I am now using a "Millionaire" reel (spendy but smooth and comfortable) So far so good....already better than anything else of that size I have owned. I have yet to try a Calcuta but maybe next?
WP
:smile:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up , Bill. Which freds ? which valley ? I went to three in salem and zero corsairs !!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks Bill, I will go looking for another Shamano as I believe them to be the best, as long as you clean them once in a while.

Besides it has to be better buying from Fred Meyers vs the Ifish board posts from Bellingham.

Those guys North of the river are a little strange anyway.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

[ 04-20-2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: snapshot ]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Corsair have been know for many problems when they first came out. I do not know anybody with an updated reel. I would be careful..........Chris

[ 04-20-2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: fishnxtc ]

·
Registered
391 Posts
i bought a corsair 301a in janbuary..and took it back a few days later..and got a 6501c3
it wouldnt freespool right, and would lock up or make grinding noises when i casted
but for 20 bucks, you really cant go wrong i guess
my dad has had a corsair for a year os so, and his has no real problems, so i guess its hit or miss?

[ 04-20-2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: BonkBonkBonk ]

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
The new (Gold colored) ones have been holding up very well. They had some problems with the originals (silver) but have rectified them it appears.

[ 04-20-2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Premium Member
22,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all...
It's the Albany store...sigh...I overslept and couldn't get there from Oregon City in time, but a friend did and got one of the ambassadeurs. There were about 10 of the corsairs, mix of right and left, and it looked like at least half dozen large saltwater penns with left-hand...good luck all...get there before church lets out though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thank you Bill, I managed to scoop up two 6500C3's on Abu Rods for $40 apiece....hard to beat that price even if the rods are not up to the quality of a Lamiglas or a G. Loomis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts