IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinion's here. I currently use a ABU 5500 for salmon/steelhead and am looking for something smaller for silvers/steelies. I dont think I need the capacity of the 5500. Looked at one at Joes for 119.00. Nice and light. Lookin foe experiences good or bad, or other options. How do they cast in comparison? Thx all!!

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
A fine reel. Not a great reel for saltwater (too many BBs, 4 + 1RB), but a great freshwater reel.

[ 08-01-2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Outstanding reel. I use mine for summer and winter steelhead in the Rogue. Smooth, durable and comfortable.

Very fine bass reel as well.

[ 08-01-2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
80 Posts
I really like the curado. I have two, and would highly recommend the FS. Line capacity is good for steelies or coho up to 12lb test line.

[ 08-01-2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Fin ]

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I have used a b5 curado for springers, kings, reds and steelies and after 200+ fish (65 of them over 20lb) I am finslly having problems. As a frame of reference I burned up a 5500c3 in about 75, 80 fish. (drag washers) They cast better and are way smoother than an abu c3. I like my curado better than my calcutta for lighter weights because the spool breaks (little things on the side of the inside of the spool) much easier. i also have a bsf curado and a standard curado which are great reels. The B5 has a lower gearing which i like for larger fish (kings and Springers). Buy one you won't be dissapointed, and if you don't like calle me I can always use another one =).

[ 08-01-2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just got a Shamino Scorpion 1000...it is the next one up from the curado...you can only get them in Japan very small and smooth....Summer steelhead, silvers,. from what i hear the boys down south love them for bass. about $140.00 shipping and handling. They have some Diawa,s you can get over there you cant get here that are amazeing looking reels.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Greeaaaat reels and I think just about every base has been covered. I have two and several other shimano reels. You will not be disappointed with any of the shimanos.

However if you want to get rid of that piece of junk after you buy it, I would give you .50 on the dollar for it.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've recommended them many times to my friends, especially the bsf for steelhead. It's very smooth. I even bought a buddy one a few years back and he loves it.
I'm with WRO, I prefer my curado over my calcutta. I think it's more comfortable and it's alot more flexible as far as casting with the adjustable weights on the side.
I also have used my for salmon fishing and it works great. I'd recommend the b5 though if you go after nooks. I didn't know about it when I bought mine otherwise I would of got it instead.

Later Geoff

·
Registered
143 Posts
Curados are good reels, as are the Calcuttas. But I would suggest you take a look at the Abu 4600C5 mag. This thing is nice and compact, and will cast a long distance using the lightest gear you're likely to use steelheading. It has a magnetic cast control and 5 bearings. It's nice to look at too. And like most Abu-Garcia products, parts are easy to find and they are easy to work on. It's also cheaper than either of the Shimanos mentioned.
Good Luck,
Al

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I have observed only two problems with the various Curados we own.

First, after about 50 Situk silvers in "winching mode", the drag washers need replacing. Duh!

Second, them Fish First summer steelies that want to run upstream can really empty one in a hurry. Just ask Fin. :grin:

Reelmeister --- isn't the 4600 C5 mag $200?

[ 08-02-2003, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Another nice thing about curados is that they are much lighter than abu garcia reels. This makes them much less taxing to cast with all day long.
Thumper,
I was able to extend the life of my drag washers by setting the drag lighter and using my thumb to control the fish. (it'll give you a good callous after a while). I also think that the b5 has tougher drag washers than the standard curado.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Shimano Spirex is my choice...my dad and I have caught a ton of steelhead with this reel. We've had one problem in all our years with it, and it was fixed promptly.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I use my Curado for everyhing. Loaded with 8lb in the summer to 80 TUFF in the fall...no problems.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Definitely the best reel in it's $$ class!! I have a regular and a SF model, and they both are awesome for summer and winter-runs. I also use one for largemouth fishing...ideal as well.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Curado? The best... For weight, and strength, and smoooooth drag..... IMHO they can't be beat.

I have two BSF reels on TH custom steelhead and salmon rods. Needless to say, they're my favorites.....

All I need to do is catch more feeeesh with 'em!! :hoboy:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I don't own a Curado, but I fish a lot with a guy who bought two to replace some gear in an insurance settlement. He is far from an amateur, fishes almost daily and can find steeelhead anywhere, but he sure hates his Curado's. He keeps bringing them along and they keep making rats nests. He's been switching to his 1970's era Shimano's which do the job. Maybe they need some adjustment, maybe he needs more time with it, but I will spend the money for the Shimano Chronarch if I need a quality baitcaster. I will tell him where he can get 50 cents on the dollar for them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Curado's are great reels you won't be sorry if you purchase one. If you don't like it, I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem giving it away.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Tilla,
The key to tuning curados is tuning the internal braked located on the spool on the opposite side of the reel as the crank. To reach them, remove the cover by twisting the black retractable handle. Then adjust the white plastic clips on the end of the metal rods in and out until you hit the sweet spot. (if you knew this I wasn't tyring to insult you). out slows the spool, in makes the spool go faster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts