IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone like to share the latest report on the Deschutes? It's guys weekend and we are camping/fishing Saturday and Sunday. Been there before and usually throw #4 & #5 blue foxes but thought about drifting corky and yarn. Does anyone have any suggestions on how much weight to use when doing this? Thanks-Eric

[ 09-08-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Dakotan ]

·
Registered
344 Posts
Check the regulations I think that area is open for Salmon as well. As for you lure selection my son and I use lures from Mortac size 5 with green tape and tubing and have always done well in that strech of water. Although it always depends how much silt is coming out of the ?????? I can't remember the name of the river. Sorry..

·
Registered
334 Posts
there's fish in there, i got a nice 10 lb. native steelhead about two weeks ago up there. the water is very warm, about 68 deg. when i was there. try fishing in the shadows under overhanging trees.
redneck

·
Registered
156 Posts
I heard yesterday that the white river was blown out. Glacial run off.....I'm waiting till it cools off. To many Salmon in other places.

Chris

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did that drift a couple of weeks ago and we caught 3 natives in 3 days. 1 on a silver little cleo style spoon with green tape at about 8pm - Nice, powerful, 32" fish. 1 on a silver and green #4 Pentac spinner first thing in the morning. and 1 at 11:00am (yes, we finally got one during the middle of the day) on a nickel and black #4 spinner fished in a deep, shady run with plenty of rocks and boulders. Saw one good sized chinook rolling but couldn't get it to bite. Anyone else figured out how to get them to bite during the middle of the day? I was frustrated by the morning and evening only routine, before this trip. My fishing partner got one last year on drift gear, but he was using a regular steelhead fly instead of corky and yarn. You might try going with colors that mimick proven steelhead fly patterns like black, red, purple, green, etc...

Good luck!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
White River? I heard the river was fairly milky last week either from silt or from an algae bloom.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Personally I think and this is my opion fishing sucks overthere this time of year because of all the dam boats. Nothing ****es me off more than while I'm fishing a drift and a bunch of boats drift over my line. Although you do have about what 3 or 4 hours to fish. If I were you I'd find a small inflatable boat and get over to the other side. I've seen many of a fish caught on the other side and the fishing pressure is a lot lower. I hope you guys knock the crap out of the fish and email me when you return and let me know how you did.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got back from the Deschutes on Sunday afternoon. We picked our canoe/rafts up in Maupin and then headed down the road on the east side of the river. It looked great to the point where the White River dumps in. Man, did that color change from a beautiful gray to silty brown milky color. Talked to the ODFW fish checker at the gravel road to Beavertail and Mack's Canyon. He said fishing has been very slow and most have been going upstream of White River to salvage their day. He also said with cooler weather, the river should clear up. We didn't touch a fish on Saturday fishing from 10am to 7pm and decided to salvage our fishing trip by using our canoes as rafts down some of the rapids. That's a thrill and a half for those who haven't done it. We also spotted some ram bighorn sheep on one of the hills/mountains across from the ODFW house. We hiked up a little ways to get a closer look.
Very cool looking animals. That was the first time I had ever seen them in the wild. None of them had full turn horns. The wildlife made the trip worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Dakotan,
Excellent pics. We saw 5 rams over there last Wednesday at Macks Canyon.

The White River is belching silt and mud. The river was generally unfishable from early morning until about 2pm. The river would start to green up in the afternoon through dark. Every morning it would be milky and unfishable again. This was the case from Thursday through Sunday.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Try fishing above the White River when its silting up the Deschutes, I picked up a nice one Sunday above Oak Springs on the railroad side.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Nice Pics Dakotadan! I've only seen big horn sheep a couple times in the wild, and they are truely beautiful animals!

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
OOOPS...sorry about that. I meant Dakotan. My bad

·
Registered
150 Posts
I actually know that one of those rams are dead now. He was shot sunday in that very same canyon. Only one Bighorn tag there a year and my buddy that lucky sucker drew it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts