IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sharks spotted just off Rockaway Beach?

Over the past years there have been people reporting very close encounters with great whites off the Oregon Coast. Now, Rockaway Beach is posting signs warning people about the sharks being spotted from their shores.

Are they salmon sharks or great whites? Can you catch, keep, and eat either?

· Vendor
6,576 Posts
The last couple times I have been out fishing offshore we have seen all kinds of sharks. I think people seriously underestimate the number of sharks swimming around just off the OR shore.

Most of the sharks we see aren't great whites, but mostly blues, and other smaller sharks. Let them be, I really don't think they are hunting people off the beach at Rockaway.

· Administrator
40,978 Posts
I think the situation is that the sharks have always been there, but the air and water are finally warm enough that there are people in the water. Whether it's a blue or a salmon shark or a white is sort of secondary, because yes, there are sharks in the ocean.

· Registered
5,621 Posts
Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that sharks are living in our oceans! ...

surprised that they have not shifted to 24hr. coverage of this breaking news

· Registered
17,451 Posts
any of the TUNA! boys target these sharks?

that'd be cool.

sharkon!
The little blue sharks (4-6 foot) don't fight at all, you have to speed up the boat for them to take line against a light drag. Threshers, they can be fun Spoonplugger had a 11' on for over an hour a couple weeks back. Freakwater I think was playing with a Mako last year, but lost it. Salmon sharks, now those are supposed to be a gas especially from a sea yak. Are any of the Tuna guys going to go out of there way from very good tuna fishing to chase a shark on purpose, maybe the day pigs fly and cows give bourbon.

· Banned
36,904 Posts
It has been reported for years that the greatest concentration of Great White sharks in the world is between San Francisco Bay and the Canadian border. Yes, there are places with more GW sharks but they are spread over much greater areas.

Whites like (1) cool coastal water and (2) a ready food supply. There favorite meal is seals/sea lions. During the summer, the cool water is pushed into an even narrower band along the coast. As the sharks that might normally loiter offshore when not feeding are concentrated into a narrower band of cool water, sightings become more common.

· Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am fairly new to fishing in the ocean and really don't know the answer, so without surfing through the regs, I though I would ask you fine folks here. Are they legal to catch? If so, what do they taste like? and why don't I hear about people fishing for them, if they are any good to eat.

ever since I got this traeger grill, I have been looking to bbq a whole mess of things

· Registered
9,675 Posts
The regs say you can take pelagic species. I tried blue shark once, yuck. Threshers and Mako taste good, don't know about salmon shark.

Some people say blues are good if you skin them right away.

Don't know about GW but I don't know if I would want to boat one.:bigshock:

· Registered
1,666 Posts
GW's like to cruise outside the surf line hunting seals and seal lions. Since their usual strategy is to stay deep and attack from below, - there's probably a lot more of them than we actually see. If you think about it, that makes surfing kinda like "dry fly" fishing for GW's!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.