IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a quart of Sharkhide to put on my aluminum boat after polishing. Any advice on application from those who have used it - after polishing with 3M does anything need to be done before applying Sharkhide? Mineral spirits to remove any conditioners or oils present in the polish? How many thin layers? Being it is summer, does the heat affect application? What application method is best - sponge, brush, roller, rag etc?

Thanks for any answers you may have for me.

John

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ge8waves, I have Sharkhide on my boat and I love it. It does everything they say it will.

My neighbor and I bought new boats at the same time, mine was Sharkhided and his wasn't, after 18 months mine still looks new and his is very dark (black, gray) well not all the time because he does spend alot of time cleaning and polishing. When we both go to the salt water for a weekend all I have to do when we get back is wash mine because it is still bright, he has to wash and spend a day polishing.

The one thing you need to watch for when applying is not missing spots, I have a few small spots around the transom on my boat (swim step, trim tabs, etc, etc) that were missed and it show, very dark spots surrounded by bright aluminum. It's hard to not miss spot because you can't see where you have applied it, so work in patterns and sections. Does that make sense?

The Sharkhide web page under the articles link has all the application information you will need (cleaner, how to apply, etc, etc) Good luck....it is a great product...by the way I don't work for them just a happy customer. W.A.

[ 06-17-2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Wish I could find a product like that for a glass boat. Still looking. Last year I put a teflon paint sealant and that worked pretty well but still had a little shag carpet hanging off the boat while mooring it. Anybody got suggestions for me.

John, that stuff sounds perfect for that beauty of yours. let me know how it turns out. :smile:

·
Administrator
41,375 Posts
When applying it for the first time, make sure the surface is totally clean and oil/grease free using the solvent of your choice. I used acetone, carefully avoiding the paint work.

When applying it, one coat with a lint free cloth will get things done. If you choose to apply a second coat, wait at least 2 days and apply the second coat very quickly as it will dissolve the first coat.

If you get scrapes in the SH, you can repair them by reapplying the SH in those spots. Wipe it on and rub slightly to dissolve a little of the SH around the edges, then finish the repair with a quick, light swipe to get an even surface.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What size boats have you guys applied this stuff to? Were they on trailers?

I'd like to put some on my boat, but I wasn't sure if I could do it while it was on the trailer; I'd not be able to reach it all.

What about applying over decals like on the side of Alumaweld boats?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I looked at the website... where do you get it and how much is it?

Jet~~~

·
Administrator
41,375 Posts
I applied mine to my 20 foot boat on the trailer, just on the sides and stern. If you have trouble reaching some spots, could you remove the fenders or side braces to reach them?

I got mine at Steven's Marine. Troy, at the Milwaukie store suggested Sharkhide to me and then special ordered it for me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I bought my boat the Sharkhide was an option that Hewescraft offered, So I had it done at the factory, it was $100.00...in 3 or 4 years I will use this product again. It is a great product!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jet - look on the Contact Us portion of the website. There is a toll free number to call that gets you to Harris Publishing (????) in Idaho, hours are 7 to 7 mountain time. Price for 1 qt was $48 including S&H. I was told 1 qt should cover my 19' boat.

·
Administrator
41,375 Posts
My boat has 1/2 painted sides ... I did 2 coats on my old boat and 2 on my new one and still have a half of my original quart ... it spreads pretty thin.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used it on my 21' Thunder Jet and just like others I missed a couple small spots under the swim step. After 1 day in the salt water I could totaly see that I had missed some spots... I think every Boat Dealer should offer it! I have had my boat for almost a year and it looks as good as the day I bought it. Some time this summer I am going to clean and apply to the missed spots.

Jeff

·
Registered
909 Posts
I also sharkhided my boat a 22 foot formula vee. I polished with flitz then used laquer thinner to remove the polish. I believe they recommend using it. I then used a soft cloth and polished it up again as the thinner clouds the polished aluminum a little bit. I then applied using a cloth. You can order it from their site a distributor in montana. I you look at the site you will find a number for florida and cliff bland he is the guy you need to talk to he will answer any ? you have. I also removed the drive on bunks to access the boat easier.

[ 06-18-2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: troller ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Wright Angle,

If the aluminum has been polished, do you need to remove the polish in order to put the Sharkhide on?

I was looking at 3M's Paint Protection Film but that requires removing the polish so you are left with clean aluminum but it's not as shiny as polished aluminum.

Brion

·
Registered
382 Posts
Brion, sorry it took me so long to answer (working, didn't see the post)

According to Sharkhides web site.
How To Apply SHARKHIDE
SHARKHIDE'S application is simple; you just wipe it on generously with a clean, soft, lint-free cotton cloth. Bland suggests using a cloth baby diaper. However, before applying, clean all aluminum areas to be treated with toluene or lacquer thinner. Once all the contaminants have been removed from the surfaces, then wipe on SHARKHIDE.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sounds like it needs to be bare metal, no polish...W.A.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Wright Angle,

Thanks...you are right...the directions seem to say remove the polish.

Looking at Pete's boat pic, that is pretty mirror finish.

Brion

1 - 15 of 15 Posts