IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did i read that right there are a few shad in the willamete i can hardly wait for those stinky little buggers it,s not a habit it,s an adicition i need a shad fix :dance:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the same addiction you do when it comes to them buggers. It usually ends up the same old thing everytime, 6-10 foot sturgeon on and the fight begins. Nothing like watching someone catch a fish that is twice as big as them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was at Fisherman's Marine yesterday and I was surprized to see they were putting up a shad gear display in the front of the store. I guess they are already at Oregon City, but they guy said they won't start biting until the water warms up to the mid-fifties or more. Oh well, guess we'll have to keep chasing springers!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a rookie in the shad business. Can you fish from boat or is it a bank show below dams? What are the common baits for shad? How big is an average sized shad? What is the life cycle of the shad? I hope that wasn't too many questions!
Thanks

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
you can fish from both the bank and boat for shad. Chartruese Grubs and dick nite spoons are the gear to use. My personal favorite is a chartruese Dick nite or bronze and red tip.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Klick,
The dick nite spoons and chartruese grubs work well, but my favorite shad lure is to take a brass barrel swivel and attach a #6 siwash hook to one end. Tie on a 4 foot leader and slide a 5mm chartruese bead down to the swivel. Fish it behind a hot-n-tot diver or use a 2 foot lead dropper.
If you fish the dick nite's, make sure you are using at least steelhead gear. An occasional chinook may take a liking to that dick nite.

·
Registered
173 Posts
brshooter hit it right on the head....gold and silver "flickr" spinners with the blades removed were the ticket for us last year.....

When my buddy told me to try this, i thought he was giving me ****, until he landed 6 to my 1 when i had a dick nite on.

[ 04-21-2003, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: BigBeanCounter ]

·
Registered
499 Posts
Try this. Small silver hook with a single red bead slid down the line to the hook. Slays em every time. One more. Tie the more expensive bright silver snap swivel to a small silver hook. No bead this time. Again, slays em. I also have the regular stuff since they do change their mind about baits sometimes. SPACE FISH

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by brshooter:

If you fish the dick nite's, make sure you are using at least steelhead gear. An occasional chinook may take a liking to that dick nite.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Not to mention the occasional Sturgeon! :dance: :shocked:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
As far as the shad being in the columbia, in march during the last tangle net chinook season, I watched quite a few shad get caught in the nets every drift. It was funny the shad would be wedged in the net and some of the netters were using their recovery boxes to revive them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Happened to me too! Caught a nice springer off the mouth of the Clackamas on a chartreuse dick nite. I'd heard of this happening before, but didn't really think it would happen to me. What a nice surprise.

One tip: Move if you aren't catching shad but others are. Try to fish above or below others who are catching them consistently as they move up river following definite paths.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Last year, we fished below the falls on my boat at Oregon City for shad around the end of June. We were using our springer rods with 20# test and 8# leader. My friend hooked something that ran like a springer, and almost spooled him. He was able to turn it, get it about 1/2 back to us, then it turned again, never to be stopped. It was hooked on a chartreuse Dick Nite, the smallest size. It spooled him dry, and the 20# broke at the end, and not the leader. It burned his thumbs, and we never saw it. I'd say it was a springer, but possibly a sturgeon. We decided not to pull anchor, as we did not have a salmon net aboard, and we really wanted to keep our spot, and we had a freezer full of springers already. He said it felt like the fish was in the chops, because of the occaisional head shakes.

The next day I went, We caught 3 larger (2 to 3 pound) springer jacks on a dick nite, as well as numerous shad. Also caught a couple trout sized chinook smolts heading toward the ocean.

SKP

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
that is for sure, they do seem to follow tight lanes. We've done great when a boat 10 feet to our side gets very little. We've also been on that end too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there was one shad over the dame this weekend there here there here going to go sunday down by the falls can hardle wait i have fished for those little buggers for years and got 100rds never hooked a salmon while shad fishing maybe this is my year

1 - 16 of 16 Posts