IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday in the Multnomah Channel to fish for shad... my first time ever. Man are those little guys fun and they fight hard. :cool: For all you first timers, dont set the hook just pick it up and start reeling... had to figure that one out the hard way as I think we crackered our first 25 bites. :hoboy:

Bite was pretty slow in the morning but as the tide picked up so did the fishing. After a while we must have had a bite every 2 minutes :dance:

One of my buddies was using a fly rod and had his fair share of action when all of a sudden the rod takes a mighty dip and a huge run. To make a somewhat long story short he battled a 12-15lb springer for about 5 minutes before we figrued out it was not a large shad and by the time we were dropping off to chase it came off. :hoboy:

Still had a great day filled with shad-o-riffic pound downs and a flyrod springer fight. :grin:

:cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow sounds like alot of fun and a springer?
I am headed out this sunday, where abouts where you at? I am going out on the columbia around washougal. Unless someone says otherwise.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
You know I think everday I get out I run into you.
I want a job like your's.

We pulled out at 1:30 had kids la crosse playoffs to get to. It figures the bite would start once we left. Did your buddy get any shad on a fly? What was he throwing?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hey Shane where's the pics? :shrug: Great job on the shad and a springer bonus! Heck you can get into springers even when your not fishin for em. :cheers: Thanks for the don't set hook tip...

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Shad-Tastic!

I'd really like to try the fly rod setup for them shad.

Can you give some details on how your fly guide was rigged (like heavy full sink line?)

And was he just letting the fly hang or casting and swinging?

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took pictures of some shad but I figured no one would want to see pictures of bait... :shrug: now if we would have landed that salmon you would have seen some pictures! :grin:

For those that want to know we were fishing an 8 wt fly rod with an express type VI 20ft sink tip with a little shad dart type fly tied very sparse and weighted. When the salmon bit it was just sitting out there with the rod in a holder with a few added split shot to get it down. If the fish are in real heavy the swing works great.

After talking it over with my buddy I think it would be a better idea to get a spool for your fly reel loaded with some kind of braided superline and tie your leader directly to it.
Then the fly would get down much easier as the flyline itself creates a lot of drag makeing it difficult for the fly to get down in strong current. Plus I think it would be a kick to troll a setup like that for salmon or steelhead. :shocked: :shocked: For those of you that have never landed a large fish on a flyrod setup it is probably one of the most fun ways to land a fish. I can just see it now... sturgeon on a flyrod! :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Thanks.

5-Cents said - "Plus I think it would be a kick to troll a setup like that for salmon or steelhead."

If you fish around the mouth of the Lewis, you'll see a guy named Scott (I think) who's rigged like that. Thumper knows the details but I think he's kind of viewed as the guru of fishing that spot.

The drawback of fully spooling with superline is you can no longer cast.

What I would suggest is the superline and in front of it a head section Cortland 860 Deepwater Express (5 or 6 feet maybe depending on current)- then you still have some weight if you want to shoot it and swing. The leader is kept short <2'.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Fishing at the mouth of the Kalama, I ran into a man, who had a flyrod wrapped with spinning rod eyes. Then just a baitcasting reel. Don't know if you're looking at THIS much modification, but that pole had some bend, and... the bend is your friend. TOC.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A couple years back we fished OC for shad from pontoon boats using 8 wt flyrods. Sinking line and weighted chartrueuse or dard red fly's. Had to hold the rod into the water a foot or two to get the fly deep enough. We caught so many our arms were tired. Made it tough to paddle back across the river to pull out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts