IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Shad Rack area by Ives Island 6/5/03 through 6/10/03.

We hooked gazillions.

Shad Killer brand lure, in orange color, tested the best.

Used 3 of them on one line at the same time, about 3' apart (yes, that's 9' of leader), off of a 3-way swivel with a 41" dropper. I had three on at once, one time.

Next best lure was size 0 Dick Nite in white with red butt. If you use only one Dick Nite on your leader then do 23" dropper, with NO LESS than 36" leader (if you use the 23" dropper). If you use a leader/dropper combination that's less than a difference of maybe 13" then the lead on the dropper gets too close to the lure (the dropper doesn't drop straight down, it gets pushed back towards the lure), and you'll catch way fewer fish!!

Gotta CONSTATNLY BACK-BOUNCE AND JIG THE ROD TIP.

Fished between that big piling that's maybe 200 yards below the shad rack's pilings and the shad rack.

Move to find the fish's "line" that they are traveling in!!

9.8 to 15.5' of bottom, depending upon the flows, worked. 2.0 knots of surface current speed seemed to be the best. (1.5 - 2.3 was good)

Later in the day they sometimes moved to deeper water than in the morning.

[ 06-12-2003, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Now that is a report...I think I need to take a class to write a report like that.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one approx 20'+- tall piling that's maybe 200 yards below the shad rack I think even has a rope attached to it since so many people hook up to it. It's pretty darn productive, especially in the mornings.

The many other pilings can probably be tied up to, and I bet the fishing would be great, if you get in the "line" that the fish are traveling upstream in. Be careful since the river could rise very fast, so give yourself plenty of line between your boat and the piling that you tie up to! Those main pilings were about 1 - 2' above water this last weekend. Some pilings are sometimes UNDERwater so watch out. 10'+ of water is usually needed to have great shad fishing there, I feel, so the pilings in say 5' of water (they stick way out of the water usually) probably aren't nearly as productive as the deeper ones. A 12' boat or less is not really recommended for this area...I'd prefer 15' or more, by the way.

If you ANCHOR up there be real careful, and find out the CORRECT way to do it before you go....boats unfortunately sink on a semi-regular basis up there.

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
Be very careful tying a rope on a piling ... you never know when the Corps will decide to dump a bunch more water and raise the river. If you do tie off on a piling, find one with a rope, loop your rope through the existing rope and secure the tag end back on your boat so you'll be able to release even if the water is up a foot or three.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts