IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

We're going to the Shad Rack along Ives Island very soon for shad.

What's been the best:
1. Area?
2. Depth?
3. Lure colors?
4....any other tips!?

Thanks!

FYI: LAST year a silver hook w/brass swivel + a chartreuse bead was probably the best setup, if I remember correctly. 12' of bottom was great. Red/white Dick Nites, and red/brass were also great. BACK BOUNCING the lure back from the boat outfished STILL-fishing the lure for us by an unbelievably large margin.

[ 06-02-2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: DaleDor ]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Was there the last two saturdays with ******. One week ago, the gold / chartruese tip dick nite was the goto lure for us. This last saturday, it was the green mini-grub with a red bead above it. :wink: Water is really flowing right now. :shocked: Fished about 15 feet deep both times.

Anchor carefully. Saw some pretty stupid moves on saturday by a boat pulling anchor with the ball. No need to do that at 15ft deep in a crowd.

Have fun and be safe up there.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I was there two weeks ago and the brass/chrome dick nite caught more than any other. I fished between the two islands in about 10-12 ft. Closer to Ives than the other.

Sinker, you could fish this from the bank....if you swam out to the island first! :grin:

Scott

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sinker, it's on the south side of Ives Island, below Bonneville dam, about 2.5 (a guess) miles.

Consider right below John Day from the Oregon side if you are bank bound (I hooked into 124 of them the firt time I fished it.) Also, Cascade LOCKS, in that park above Bridge of The Gods, from shore, if, repeat if, the flows at Bonneville get between 385KCFS and 450KCFS.

Right below Bonneville, from shore, on the Oregon side, was what appeared to be a pretty good catch rate last week or so, for the shore-bound angler. The Washington side was noticeably less of a catch rate, but it will depend upon what the flows are.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steelie Steve,

Thanks for the info! I'll keep in mind about anchoring there this year...good advice.

I'll try about 15' like you said. Would you also mind telling me what you think is the best LOCATION there (say in relation to the shad racks' (underwater) pilings, or in relation to the downstream end of Ives Island, etc.)?

(Consider emailing me at [email protected] if you'd like to keep this particular info confidential.)

By the way, that SWWA web site looks like it's a pretty useful organization.

G

·
The pilings were under water. Safely just above (upstream) and a boat width or two outside the piling line is always good.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
DaleDor,
The real question is, do you want to catch 75 fish in the middle of the crowd, or 50 fish with a little more space? And those numbers are just an example. I like to fish on the lower side of Ives Island out of the crowds. You can catch just as many fish (more than one needs) and not have to bump anchors to do it. Try to stay close to the island, we started last trip in the middle, but ended up closer to shore, the key is if you are not getting as many as the people around you, move on the same line as them, just be sure to give plenty of space for your anchor and their lines. If you still are not getting bit, change lures. Location first, presentation second.
Good luck, and enjoy those shad......what a ball, wish I were going again soon.
Scott

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
DaleDor,
Glad to help. About locations, listen to ******. I was in his boat. He knows the spot. :bowdown:

I have been a member of SWWA for about a 1 1/2 years. They are a fairly active organization in fish and habitat support. If you are interested, I can get you more info on them.

Have fun and be safe out there. :grin: :cheers: :grin:

Steve :cheers:

3,877 Posts
Fished the rack yesterday.

It was easy and fun. Probably caught 40 to 50. we sandwiched in 2 hours at the beginning and 2 hours at the end of the day. Did oversize in the middle and fought 2 of them before that barge ate my buoy system while we were fighting a fish. At least I got my buoy back. Can't say the same for my anchor & rope however. I was anchored on the very edge of the channel on the Oregon side and felt I was very safe from that episode but I guess that barge pilot wanted to teach me a lesson. Og well.

Fotuanetly I carry a spare anchor but with a broken anchor puller we went back for shad. Lesson learned, always look up river before going to fight an oversized and see if it is worth chasing. That darn barge cost me about $130.

Oh well, back to the shad story. 10 - 15 depth is great. Close to the shore below the rack in the Beacon Rock cove will work or just aroung the Light Post. Red/Chrome Dick Knight did the job on a #20 jet diver. I couldn't keep them off. My 2 partners did well also. Try all the variety Dick Knights. Light line, 6 - 8# test 4' liter and you will be in them.

Good Luck.

KHH

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kentuck Hog Hunter,

Sorry to hear about your bouy....but at least you had good fishing.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I try to avoid the crowds too but I usually get upstream of the pile of boats. As you head upstream about 40 feet off of Ives you'll notice a sharp depth change from 14-15ft up to 10-11 ft. I usually crawl up on that plateau and toss the anchor and then drift back in to 12-14 ft. of water. We slammmed them on Sunday and had several boats trying to jockey into our position. The ones that got close caught fish hand over fist but even the ones on the outside caught fish just at a slower rate. As far as lure preference goes they hit everything I put out. I guess I would say they hit anything with chrome/silver better but I think that's just because that's what I had the most of. I had four poles going for the kids and it was utter kaos just trying to keep up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts