IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do shad run up the clakamas river? if so, how far up. I've fished for them on the big river but thought it would be fun to try the clack if their in there!

thax,
cb :cheers:

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
You may see an oddball stray or two up to the Street Car bridge, and maybe High Rocks. That's about as far as I have ever heard of them up the Clack. :grin:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Years ago the shad did run up into the Clack. But for the past 20 years or so, I do not think they have. It would be a waist of time, except you might accidently hook a summer steelie!!! That would be ok!
We officially have always used May 18th (Mt. Saint Helens eruption date) as the official start of Shad season in the Willamette. Now, I know they get there earlier sometimes, however to go out and really begin catching them, this is a very good starting date to remember.
Also, the level of the Willamette has alot to do with success. Sometimes the river is still to darn high and fast for good fishing. The shad do like current, however it doesn't make sense to go out there and kill yourself over a shad.
The season is plenty long, as our best day ever on the Willamette at Clackamette park was 166 fish on July 4th. (all released) We use lap counters like they use in track events and have a little contest for most fish and who buys dinner.
Lots of fun!! Go get em!!! :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts