IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to C&R a bunch of shad tomorrow, which would be better, OC or Coon Island area? I h aven't fished either area before, I've been to the shad rack and Camas areas and done well there but I'd like to try a new area tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
PD,

Can't speak for Coon since I've never fished shad there, but I can tell you that OC has a ton of shad and a ton of boats. Watched continuous action out the back yard today.

A caution though. You mentioned you have fished at the shad rack, so you must have an adequate anchor. Unfortunately, many of the inexperienced seem to come out and try to anchor in the swift middle current of the Willamette. Since there are so many boats it is pretty much a necessity to short line anchors and many don't stick. Boats too close, boats on top of other boats is way too common. Right UG? :smile: :shocked:

Coon Island might be less current if not less crowded...

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I fished coon a couple of days ago and the action was not redhot but steady. There are not as many people there but the area is much smaller but I had no trouble finding my own spot to fish.

Good luck if you go the best lure for me was the 50/50 silver/gold Dick Nite.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have fished both coon island and oc within the last two days. I spent 5 evenings fishing at oc. OC produced what took me all day to catch at coon island in 15 minutes. There is no comparison as far as I am concerned. OC is it right now, but this is as subject to change as the wheather.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta say a BIG thank you !!!
I scored on the shad this morning at OC. Think my shoulder is somewhat sore from trying to get that little spoon back, something kept trying to pull it away from me. I think there are one or two shad in the creek. Brass and or brass/chart. tip was slaying them.
I didn't know there were that many boats in the PDX area, holy cow, you could've walked from shore to shore and not touch water.
Thank you guys for the much needed info !!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts