IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished heavy on Saturday and metered lots of fish but upon inspection (and speculation) figured that by virtue of sheer quantity, they must be Shad ...
Has anyone hooked up yet for Shad in the Willamette?
We were figuring on going out Saturday and anchoring up to catch some ... figured a pole or two for shad and one for salmon but if no one is hooking them yet, we'll continue to drag bait and lures for salmon. Need to catch some shad if for no other reason than to build confidence we can catch something.
Thanks.
PS - few fish caught at Sellwood this week, seems to be slowing down.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I'd say next week will be the start, but my best guess is around the 3rd week will be really smokin'. I spoke to GI joes and nothing from them yet.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Is the May 15th season date just for the Columbia or does that apply to the Willamette as well?

Scott

·
Registered
66 Posts
fished at oregon city for shad last sunday had maybe a dozen drive byes and to stuck there here and it will only get better i am going saturday look for blue bayliner open bow say high see ya out there RON

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe the Columbia opens Friday May 16 for shad and the Willamette is open right now. I can't wait to drown a shad!

·
Registered
173 Posts
saw one pulled out of the garbage hole hog line this afternoon. Needless to say, the guys in the boat were a little bummed !!

They're coming!!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
The water temp has dropped in the last few days, this will slow the shad bite and it has picked up the salmon bite.

You will need a shot of nice weather to get the shad going, it's not a timing thing, it's a water temp thing that influences the fish.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Joe's has Dick Nite's on sale,, I got a bunch of em. I look forward to catchin the little buggers. Its when I take all the "take me fishing" friends out and let em catch.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
I can't wait either...it seems like all year people ask you to take em fishing and this is the perfect fish to do it on. We get to take em out in the boat and make everything feel professional and then they really think that you are a pro cause they are into fish and having a ball. Great way to get people into the sport. Take a kid fishing, it might change their life.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I was out in the willy on sunday. We were also marking a ton of fish (must have been shad). If I had the gear I would have tried to catch one. God knows there were no springers to be had that day. Just like someone else said sheer quantity. If they were salmon I'm a horrible salmon fishermen (save it) as these clouds of fish were huge!!! It won't be long....

MH

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
According to the ODFW shad is open on th e columbia under the same 4 day a week rule and below I-5 as salmon

A LINE PROJECTED FROM ROCKY POINT ON THE WASHINGTON BANK THROUGH RED BUOY 44 TO THE NAVIGATION LIGHT AT TONGUE POINT ON THE OREGON BANK UPSTREAM TO I-5 BRIDGE: This section of the Columbia River is open to the retention of adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon, adipose fin-clipped steelhead, and shad four days a week on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. This section of the Columbia River is closed to the angling for salmon, steelhead, and shad on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts