IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to take my wife/kids out on the river after work today, but don't think I want to hassle with the crowds at Oregon City. Does anyone have any luck between Cathedral Park/Kelly Point and Scappoose area for shad? St. Helens area???

I live off of Cornelius pass so anything off Hiway-30 would be easier.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rip'N'Lips

[ 06-05-2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Rip'N'Lips ]

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
The Coon island area has some good spots. I haven't been for a couple of weeks. But may be worth trying.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
See the thread below - "MC Shad Update"

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
i have found good success above coon island just out from the moorage there. just move around till ya get into them.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I know they are still catching them on the channel. Your best bet is to launch at Browns Landing (take a right just past the Texaco as you come into Scappoose) and run downriver a ways to the Coon Island area. If I were you, I'd anchor up above the island by the moorages. The green grub and red and white dick nites did the trick last weekend.

Joe

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to fish for them in the big river? Say around Frenchmans, Caterpillar or Bachelor Island?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waterdog-

That was my question. Can you fish the big river around Sand Island, or maybe Davis Bar. With the large numbers going through Bonneville, they must go through those areas...

I may be adventureous and give it a try..

Rip'N'Lips

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
I figured that's what you were asking. I've wondered about it for years. I don't see why you couldn't do it. I'm thinking I'll give it go this weekend. May as well do a little research with all the nice weather. Would be nice to catch a few with nobody else around and not have to put with the masses. This could be the next zipperlip fishery. :wink:

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Killertrayer, Are there two launches on Multnohmah Channel known as "Browns Landing"? After reading your post, I looked on my Evergreen Willamette/Columbia crusing atlas. The chart on page 20 shows "Browns Landing" about 3-4 miles north of Fred's Marina. This would be quite a ways from Coon Island. Then I noticed another place called "Brown Ldg", also on page 20. This one is near the top of the page, near "Johnson Crossing". Is this the one you were talking about? How does that ramp compare to launching from Scappose Bay Marina?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts