IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its almost here , for those people who watch the fish counts over bonniville , in the next 2 to 3 weeks we should start seeing the shad numbers start to return to the CR and for those that haven't had the chance to try this fishery start asking questions because its alot of fun and it makes great oversize gater bait to , for those who eat them theres food on the table also so lets get ready to have some fun so enjoy and be safe. good luck

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
on a sinking line I'd try the willammette near
OC. Not the most practical way to hook them but I bet you'd get into some.
Yes, they rock for crab bait and gators. I like to fillet one side and toss it out. I personally seem to do better on oversize that way.
Shad fishing it just a kick with the ladies and kids to. Everybody gets into the action.
Have fun! :grin:

[ 05-01-2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
A total of 9 shad have been counted over The Dalles dam. This is interesting because at Bonneville Dam they are still at 0 shad.. I guess they must go through the locks.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you could catch a few this weekend in OC. Try about 100 yards above the Clack on the OC side in about 21 feet of water. In the past we have gotten into them this early. Keep in mind, it is a shorter run to OC than to Bonneville. :wink:

I am ready!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would agree w/ Lured In; looking over the fishing journal we've gotten them as early as April 22 in years past. With some full sun and a greener, warmer Willy, you ought be able to catch enough to take up to Bonny or crabbing for that matter. Since not many people are targeting them yet, it will be key to keep moving them until you find them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hear that the Shad fishing is pretty good near Camas. How long do the runs usually last?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have fished shad at the mouth of the Washougal. Seems like it is a hit and miss thing there. Some times it is hot, others stink. I have been there at times and sat for a couple of hours with only one or two only to have it turn on and catch 20 in the next hour.

Usually mid May to mid June. You will know when they are in. Everyone will be talking shad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it seems like this fishery lasts up to 2 months if not longer ive cought them into july. the peak is about a month after they come in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well it seems like this fishery lasts up to 2 months if not longer ive cought them into july. the peak is about a month after they come in.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Love the little buggers, except when they make a "deposit" on you when you land them. It's just SO pleasant!! A new chinese soup: Cream of sum yung shad.

[ 05-02-2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,593 Posts
greenbuttskunk .. try just the gills from a quivering shad. You can use much less lead and fish in faster water. This is an old bank maggot trick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What's everyone using for shad bait?. This weekend is the only weekend I will ever have a chance to fish. I am fishing from the bank, anything on the other end of the line that will fight is good enough for me. I will be heading to Benson Lake and try some trout fishing, hopefully make it out to the Boneville Dam and do some fishing. thanks

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Red tipped hildebrants seem to work well. Shad fishing is such a kick in the pants. I'd rather do that sometimes then going to cathc sturgeon afterwards

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
for those who eat them theres food on the table
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:sick: You have got to be kidding, there is actually people that eat them???????? Someone gave me two cans of it last year and I could not even get my cat to eat it. Seriously

Where should a flyfisher go to get into shad in the Portland area?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Do you have a boat? We flyfish for them up by the falls and do just as good if not better than the guys casting hardware at them.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Fished the MC today. I swear I was marking a bunch of 'em. Seemed like a lot more small fish passing by.

Oh, and the springers just passed by too :depressed:

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Sunfish,
I am into the high end lures for shad. Here is the lure I became a believer in. Take a brass barrel swivel (#5 or #7) and attach a Gami #6 siwash hook to it. Tie it on to a 3-4 foot leader and slide a 5mm or 6mm chartruese bead down the leader. Fish it behind a hot-n-tot diver or on a 2 foot lead dropper.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts