IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the new press release from the coast guard after they talked to me Troy The only one that was there.
If any IFISHERS would like to attend the memorial service for my Dad FREETOFISH Harold Cooper They will be in oregon city Wensday @ 1:00 PM @ Hillside Chapel on 7th hope some of you can make it. Thanks for all the nonjudgemental kind words from all of you. To all of you that wear PFD life vests I would have second thoughts. That is what cut my dads air supply off.

Office of Public Affairs
U.S. Coast Guard Thirteenth District

DHS USCG BANNER

Â
Press Release

Date: Aug. 27, 2005

(206) 220-7237

SON'S ATTEMPT TO PERFORM CPR WHILE IN THE WATER UNSUCCESSFUL, FATHER DIESÂ

SEATTLE - The Coast Guard responded to a call Thursday from the master of a vessel stating his crew had pulled two people from the waters of the Columbia River.

The research vessel Point Sur's crew spotted a father and son, from Oregon City, Ore., floating in the water two and a half miles south of the Columbia River's mouth and called Coast Guard Group/Air Station Astoria, Ore., at 9:52 a.m.

The pair had been in a 20-foot jet drive boat when it was swamped by a wave and capsized. The Point Sur lowered their small boat to recover the two men.  The 32-year-old son was responsive when pulled aboard but attempts to rescucitate the 62-year-old father were unsuccessful.

The father and son were wearing lifejackets at the time. The father's inflatable lifejacket was too tight around his neck and was affecting his air supply. When the son noticed his father struggling for air he punctured the lifejacket, removed it and placed an inflatable cushion underneath his father to keep him afloat.

Due to the choppy sea conditions, the son was unable to keep his father afloat. While in the water, the son attempted to perform cardio pulmonary rescucitation but was unsuccessful.

Group/Air Station Astoria launched an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter to hoist the son from the deck of the research vessel and transported him back to the air station where emergency medical technicians were waiting. Coast Guard Station Cape Disappointment, Wash., launched a 47-foot motor lifeboat to recover the father from the research vessel.

Video of the hoist is availible at Coast Guard Group/Air Station Astoria by calling (503) 861-6214.

###

The U.S. Coast Guard is a military, maritime, multi-mission service within the
Department of Homeland Security dedicated to protecting the safety and security of America.

Â

View this document online
U.S. Coast Guard - 13th District
13th District Public Information Site

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: Setting the record straight FREETOFISH & C

Coop-
We also went out to the ocean that day and I can not even imagine what you have been through. I have not met you but my heart is heavy for you right now. Please know that me and my family will be praying for you and yours. If there is anything that can be done please ask as there are a ton of awesome people on this board that I'm sure would love to help! God bless you.
Canyon Man

·
Administrator
41,357 Posts

Coop, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I can't imagine what you are experiencing. I hope you're able to find some peace and comfort and will treasure your memories of the great times you and your dad had together.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Coop, my thoughts are with you. It is a great loss to you and you family for sure. You will remember all the good times and your hurting will go away. My best of wishes to you and your family....carry on. Ken Bolstad

G

·
It's hard to find the right words at a time like this but I'm sure your dad would be very proud of you and the efforts you made to save his life :applause:
My sincere sympathy to you and your family in your time of loss :depressed:
Stew

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
My condolences to you and your family during this extremely difficult time :depressed: I'll be praying for you guys. :angel: :angel:

-jokester

·
Registered
16,593 Posts
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.......

"God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray That in his mercy I be judged as big enough to keep.
Amen."

JK

·
Administrator
119,583 Posts
Thank you for posting this.

And please know that all of our prayers and good wishes are with you in this difficult time.

Jen

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You and your father were heavy on my mind as I crossed the bar for the first time this Saturday and Sunday.

For the benefit of us saltwater rookies, anything that you could share about what caused the boat to get swamped would be appreciated as a learning opportunity.

Again, my prayers are with you.

·
Registered
16,951 Posts
Words aren't sufficient to convey our thoughts....so all I can say is you have our best wishes and sincere condolences.

Gary & Sharon

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well Thanks Everyone for the kind words I will most likely never go in the ocean agian but if I did so I would have and had a open bow boat I would get a taunno cover for the bow. The bow on our boat filled with water and the boat just dove into the water and would not plane out of it. I don't think there is any amount of bilge pumps that could pump enough water out of the boat when it starts to fill up. make sure your flare kit is handy or on your life jacket. ours did us no good in the glove box when we were in the water and couldent get to them. same with the VHF get a hand held that is water proof. I'm lucky the water was temp was 68. My friend is a rescue swimmer in the NAVY and he said my surival rate for the conditions were 50% if it was any colder I probably would never made it.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts

Coop, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. These are mighty tough times that you are going through, I am certain. Rest assured, there are a lot of us who are thinking of you and your family, and wishing that there was something that we could do to help. I don't know what it might be, be if there is something that I could do, please let me know.

It was very thoughtful of you to make these posts on Ifish. Thanks for your good suggestions for those who venture out in the ocean.

Jack

·
Registered
10,514 Posts

Coop, I am very sorry. Best wishes to you and your family.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts

Words really can't express the sorrow one feels at a time like this. Thanks for caring enough for others to share some insite into what happened and things to keep in mind when and if it happens again. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

I don't really have any idea the pain your feeling. I can only think how I would feel. all my thought and prayers are with you at your very deep time of sorrow. Ron

·
Registered
141 Posts
Coop
Thanks for sharing this terrible accident with the Ifish community, hopefully fishermen will benefit from your words when going out into the ocean. Please accept my condolences and may peace be with you and your family during this difficult time.
Tom Biondi

·
Registered
675 Posts
Coop,

While we do not know each other we are all brothers chasing the fish of our dreams. Be thankful for each and every moment you and your father spent fishing or in the great outdoors.

You have helped many people with your statements and I to will remember your father and you each and every time we cross the bar or find our selves in mother natures path.

This really it home with our family as my son Jon, is on the boat everyday with me in the summer time and weekends. We have inflated my vest tp check for sizing and tightness issues.

Our family prays for yours and yes you father is very proud of his son for his actions and his helping others in his own time of need!

Tight Lines my Brother stay the Course.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Coop,
There, but for the grace of God, go I.
Things happen so fast out there--I know you did all you could. As was posted above, your father would be very proud of your efforts to save him.
It is an important lesson about inflatables as well. My family and I wear them when on the salt, as the freedom of movement is so much better than with a traditional jacket.
I will be reassesing that choice.
Thank you for helping us to understand what happened--we are all just one swell away when we are on the water.
God Bless you, your father, and your family.
Charlie

1 - 20 of 51 Posts