IFish Fishing Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I’m confused why anyone would send a person money without getting or seeing the product first. If I’m buying something from a person, and they are not able to meet me, no way am I sending money there way. If it’s not eBay it’s no way for me. I thought classifieds were for local sales.
How would someone purchase something online then? I have sold 1000s of backpacking items in a FB group to every state in the country, but I would never send something to someone without getting paid first.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Fwiw, the ammo gougers I see more and more of in the hunting classifieds is almost as bad. Almost.
This attitude tickles the hell out of me. Gouging. As if you need ammo to survive.

If you don’t like the price, don’t buy it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
A104 tried to pull the scam on me yesterday on my Ifish WTB wood splitter. He's been a member for all of 29 days, he is banned but somehow is able to still send pm's. How is a banned member able to use ANY function here? Ifish in tatters?

Reactions: dan silverman

·
Super Moderator
21,510 Posts
A fix was recently done. As always, it may have to be tweeked, but we'll see how effective this update works. Keep reporting any spam conversations you get.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I just received a response from a classified ad that I had posted from 4 years ago, and it's the very first post from a new user, hmmmm, maybe a scam? lol

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is sad. I've had numerous great experiences buying/trading stuff on ifish.net. I also got a spammer response for my intrest in some bullets recently. I'll report it.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I've had a lot of great experiences too buying, selling and trading on iFish. I've seen a lot more suspicious activity in the past few months since I've joined the forum.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
This is happening on the other outdoor forums I frequent too, not just IFISH.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
In the backpacking gear page that I admin we are in the middle of quite the tale. A new member joined one day and started responding to "In Search Of" posts with EXACTLY what the person was looking for. Well of course, people get excited and jump at a "good deal." They pay him, he ghosts them after that. Well usually these people have some sort of symbol of intelligence, but this time the scammer had a facebook page that anyone could look at, photos, friends lists, etc. Well, the other admin started contacting siblings and other family members. At this point we have about 10 people who are all out a couple hundred bucks, but we also have a name and an address for the individual. Authorities will be knocking on his door today, should be entertaining.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
In the backpacking gear page that I admin we are in the middle of quite the tale. A new member joined one day and started responding to "In Search Of" posts with EXACTLY what the person was looking for. Well of course, people get excited and jump at a "good deal." They pay him, he ghosts them after that. Well usually these people have some sort of symbol of intelligence, but this time the scammer had a facebook page that anyone could look at, photos, friends lists, etc. Well, the other admin started contacting siblings and other family members. At this point we have about 10 people who are all out a couple hundred bucks, but we also have a name and an address for the individual. Authorities will be knocking on his door today, should be entertaining.
Another reason that a rating system is badly needed. But I don't think there's anybody out there that gives a rip! I've done biz with a couple people here 10 years, or so, ago. No big $$, under $100.00, but they were well known members. My opinion? These days you shouldn't trust anyone you've not had a chance to vet in some way. Look at our state rulers for a clue as to how terrible its getting. You're really looking for trouble trusting strangers on the webs.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Another reason that a rating system is badly needed. But I don't think there's anybody out there that gives a rip! I've done biz with a couple people here 10 years, or so, ago. No big $$, under $100.00, but they were well known members. My opinion? These days you shouldn't trust anyone you've not had a chance to vet in some way. Look at our state rulers for a clue as to how terrible its getting. You're really looking for trouble trusting strangers on the webs.
There are actually plenty of ways online when buying to make sure that you are protected. The biggest issue is that people want a good deal. If you're looking at a $600 ultralight tent, and someone offers you one for $300, unfortunately the excitement of a good deal can cloud some good judgement.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts