IFish Fishing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Was I appointed, elected, or did I just sense a power vacuum and took over the spot? Coastalhounddog wants to know.
Kinda the Alexander Haig of ifish?

Sorry Bill! Happens to all of us. Thanks for sharing so others can learn from your misfortune. If someone wants to be part of my friends and family on PayPal (which I haven't used since it got hacked a few years ago) they've got to be: 1) a close friend; or 2) family. Period. Anything else is a scammer. I do know people that have been insistent with PayPal and gotten their money back when the scammer turned out to be a well known bad actor. Worth the time to be a squeaky wheel.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I frequent another forum often and buy some knives off it...I gota shake my head every time someone uses friends and family to send someone money on paypal... if they insist on being paid that way, walk away. Anyone legit will eat a small fee to sell their product or just price it in to begin with.

Reactions: dan silverman

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I frequent another forum often and buy some knives off it...I gota shake my head every time someone uses friends and family to send someone money on paypal... if they insist on being paid that way, walk away. Anyone legit will eat a small fee to sell their product or just price it in to begin with.
‘I don’t mind buying via F&F, as long as the seller is reputable.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
‘I don’t mind buying via F&F, as long as the seller is reputable.
Funny enough I was reading through a thread on that other forum I was talking about. Someone purchased a knife from someone on there and never recieved it. A few other people also had issues recently with this seller as well....the kicker, he's been a member of that forum for years and years and someone everyone trusted and had like 90+ positive transactions...and not everyone even gives feedback after a transaction so he probably sold more than that. People were wondering if maybe he had some medical issue or if someone he knows got on his account and abused it but either way my point is stuff happens. even if it is a reputable person or someone who's been active in the forums for years and only has good feedback....you wana risk it thats fine but out of all the threads I've read over the years about people being ripped off and not getting their money back they all had one thing in common, they sent money friends and family.

Reactions: dan silverman

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m confused why anyone would send a person money without getting or seeing the product first. If I’m buying something from a person, and they are not able to meet me, no way am I sending money there way. If it’s not eBay it’s no way for me. I thought classifieds were for local sales.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I’m confused why anyone would send a person money without getting or seeing the product first. If I’m buying something from a person, and they are not able to meet me, no way am I sending money there way. If it’s not eBay it’s no way for me. I thought classifieds were for local sales.
It's called trust. It was kind of a big deal back in the old days.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah I ran into something similar buying lumber with a RFQ, guy promising me everything I wanted, better price than anyone, even shipping seems too cheap, sounded too good to be true, start looking up the guy, can't find anything about the guy online, nothing comes up searching his name, email, etc. but he wants me to send $10k lol.

I explain I can't send money to a stranger I can't identify like that, explain I looked up his info and there isn't any, he goes into this "all I have is my integrity" bs, I say ok, I'll fly there and take possession at the time I hand over cash. He says he doesn't want to give up his supplier, he's acting as a middle man, I'll cut him out behind his back, etc. too risky for him. I say I'm the one taking a risk, have a nice life, then he comes back "ok you can send me half the money, and then the other half before we ship". Sorry in person cash for possession is the best I can do in this situation, I'll fly anywhere. He didn't take me up on it.

Never send money to a stranger up front. Can't even blindly accept credit cards if you're selling something valuable, they'll report it stolen after they get the stuff.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
and never do business with someone here or anywhere that uses friends and family for goods and not for sending money to friends and family. they have shown they will cheat a business for money so what will they do to you.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
its like two pickpockets stealing from each other and the one who loses the most complains he was cheated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I once bought a Les Baer 1911 by sending a stranger some money and then he sent me the gun. After I'd sent the money I was thinking: "Damn that was dumb". But darned if the gun didn't arrive later. I never did it again, got lucky that time I expect.

Take care all

·
Registered
16,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Bowen, no, I found some from honest sources, and God bless 'em. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Maybe it's been said? I didn't read through every post. There's a mirrored thread on NorthwestFirearms.com. NWFA has a feedback system At the VERY least I would think someone buying something from a person with absolutely NO vetting is asking for trouble. I would never think of buying something through a website without at least checking past posts and a "Phone call" between the two parties. There's too much lost in just texting. If ifish is going to have a classified section the SHOULD have a feedback system. But I have a feeling the new format doesn't give that option. and no one in administration really cares.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ichthy, I sent funds as "family or friend" and Paypal will offer absolutely no protection for such transactions. Can't even open a dispute. SOL.
Yeah I've heard that sending as friend or family removes any recourse. When they ask me to send that way I say "I have my settings set permanently not to allow that and it can't be changed, sorry. " And unless they are locla now I won't deal with em at all, so I can pick it up in person. Very sad to hear this is happening

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ichthy, I sent funds as "family or friend" and Paypal will offer absolutely no protection for such transactions. Can't even open a dispute. SOL.
That's why you never, never, ever send family & friends unless you absolutely trust them. If they ask you to, 90% of the time they will screw you. I only do business on paypal and I know (pretty much) all the scams.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm a member on another car forum which is in the same format as this is now and a member almost got hit the exact same way, member posted a WTB and had a new member contact him saying he had the part and wanted to use Friends and Family, luckily the guy smelled a rat and cancelled before he lost any money. Beware, there is scum everywhere!

61 - 80 of 93 Posts