IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
there is a sucker born every minute. all it takes is to offer a good deal.

never give or send money to someone you dont know. or at least have spoken to and verify they are real and have a proper phone number and address.
and never send money you cant stop payment on.

and sending friends and family for items is basically cheating paypal out of their fee. so you really deserve to get taken as you were part of a scam which was working both ways.
That’s pretty cold.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sorry to hear you got took. I’ve PayPal’d people plenty of times, but will not use F&F unless I know them. No exceptions. I don’t even give an option. I’ll pay the 3% for the security.

Bet you could really use those bullets right now, huh?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This sort of stuff tweaks me. I had a couple transactions I thought might be risky of getting scammed, but the folks always came through. I'm really sorry.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
It's easy to be complacent about ifish transactions. I've been using this site for almost 20 years, and I consider my ifish brothers and sisters an extended family. I know a genuine ifisher wouldn't bamboozle me. I probably wouldn't have thought to check the post history, but if I did, then that would be a vermillion banner.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I won’t use PayPal! Years ago, bought an iPod for wife for eBay. Guy postponed shipping, so when I got a counterfeit iPod, PayPal, said sorry. You only have 45 days to dispute a charge. Maybe in their small print somewhere.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Bill that really sucks. I've been buying and selling for years here and else where and have only had one issue. A couple hours on the phone with Paypal and USPS I got it figured out and got my money back. I always thought of ifish as on of the safer places. But with as much as it's grown over the years it was bound to happen.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Oh Hell Bill. I'm sorry to hear that. I have a tendency to trust people here on iFish and have never had a bad experience. I'm sorry you did. Thanks for posting so we can be more aware. I hate scammers. Grrrrrr, CopperMan.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Same thing almost happened to me. Guy messaged me, said his buddy had a shotgun I was looking for. "Buddy's" emails were weird, so I didn't bite.

RW

·
Registered
16,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sirfishalots, I had the same message from Waytall regarding Dough74, who does not exist here.
As some have noted, Ifish has always seemed "above the fray" when it comes to bad actors, and I let my guard down. I am sorry that this is not the case.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I won’t use PayPal! Years ago, bought an iPod for wife for eBay. Guy postponed shipping, so when I got a counterfeit iPod, PayPal, said sorry. You only have 45 days to dispute a charge. Maybe in their small print somewhere.
I would cancel an order through eBay if someone didn't ship in a few weeks. Typically, you only have 30 days through eBay to make a return. Gotta know the rules and protect yourself.

·
Registered
38,798 Posts
I stopped using Pay-Pal a few years back for Ifish purchases and such. Just wasn’t comfortable using a middleman. There is always enough communication between us, both buying and selling, plus the long term member status that prevents being spoofed. I do it the old fashioned way by using snail mail and a check. I do worry about the check getting stolen in the mail but hasn’t happen yet. Have always dealt with good Ifish people.

Thanks Bill for the eye opener. We always need these reminders.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have an ad up for a WTB now. Let's see if I can snag one of them bottom feeders!!!

Erich - BigEars
I like this! Should we start a little fishing tournament?

And again, sorry for the bad experience at Bill’s expense. Too many people would just stew over it and swallow it. It’s appreciated that he shared this experience for the rest of us to learn from.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have used paypal to buy things from other ifishers and people from other websites (recently bought a fishfinder and had a wonderful experience). I always use the paying for a good option no matter what, as you are essentially paying for insurance. the 3% is not that much (IMHO) to get the peace of mind if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Like someone else said, doublelung has been a member for 11 years. Did maybe something happen to him? If someone knows his real name can they Google it?

Reactions: dan silverman

·
Registered
249 Posts
It sucks not to be able to trust members of a group. I hate thieves.... Josh and I both got screwed by the same fella, with no recourse. With no recourse or consequences , there is little to dissuade individuals from repeating. I am not at all comfortable with the new Ifish format, and have not spent a lot of time on the site as of late, but I think calling out a repeat offender is good for the order and integrity of the group.
phil strader

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ripped off by Ifisher “Doublelung” Cody Zartman. Enough of us have reported that he has scammed us you think a lifetime ban from Ifish would be a no brainer...

Josh Putman

21 - 40 of 93 Posts