IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
16,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scammers are stealing money from WTB ad posters on a number of outdoor or hunting-related forums right now.
Here's how it works:
You post a WTB ad for, say, bullets. You get a PM or "conversation" from someone saying something like, "Hey, I know a guy wh has some of those to sell. Drop him an email at [email protected] or text him at 1-541 xxx-xxxx." You send a text or e-mail and yes, Ed Schimmelpetscher says he has what you are looking for. You Paypal him and he walks with your money. No bullets, no replies to your inquiries. Nothing. You have been had.
This just happened to me here with a WTB Speer .458 300-grain JHP bullets in the hunting classifieds.
A guy PMed me that a friend had some and I sent an email. We agreed on price, I Paypaled him $90, and he walked off with it, laughing at me. When I went back to ask the Ifisher what he knew about this crook, I realized that the "Ifisher" -- scott329 -- had joined Ifish two days prior and had 0 posts. SIRENS SHOULD HAVE GONE OFF.
Since being cheated, I have had another shady offer to text a friend by another guy who joined Ifish two days before.
Friends, just watch your topknots and ignore or report any of this stuff, especially involving brand-new Ifishers you never heard of.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Scammers are stealing money from WTB ad posters on a number of outdoor or hunting-related forums right now.
Here's how it works:
You post a WTB ad for, say, bullets. You get a PM or "conversation" from someone saying something like, "Hey, I know a guy wh has some of those to sell. Drop him an email at [email protected] or text him at 1-541 xxx-xxxx." You send a text or e-mail and yes, Ed Schimmelpetscher says he has what you are looking for. You Paypal him and he walks with your money. No bullets, no replies to your inquiries. Nothing. You have been had.
This just happened to me here with a WTB Speer .458 300-grain JHP bullets in the hunting classifieds.
A guy PMed me that a friend had some and I sent an email. We agreed on price, I Paypaled him $90, and he walked off with it, laughing at me. When I went back to ask the Ifisher what he knew about this crook, I realized that the "Ifisher" -- scott329 -- had joined Ifish two days prior and had 0 posts. SIRENS SHOULD HAVE GONE OFF.
Since being cheated, I have had another shady offer to text a friend by another guy who joined Ifish two days before.
Friends, just watch your topknots and ignore or report any of this stuff, especially involving brand-new Ifishers you never heard of.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Oh crap! So sorry to hear about this now! Feel your pain and disgust.
Have you tried to run it down via PayPal to see if they give you any protections on your money for a scam like this? Might be worth a shot to try - regardless, thanks for the head's up as most of us would not have seen that coming 🥺

Reactions: dan silverman

·
Registered
16,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ichthy, I sent funds as "family or friend" and Paypal will offer absolutely no protection for such transactions. Can't even open a dispute. SOL.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Here's how it works:
Warning to all. Don't use venmo, paypal, or any payment apps with individuals that you don't know. Most don't have a way for you dispute if something goes wrong. Also as has been mentioned if don't allow someone to push you off to someone else off this site. This type of scam as been going of for years in the CL world.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
I've used Paypal for years, have gotten my money back on numerous occasions.
Never use the family and friends feature unless they are actually family or friends.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
That's a bummer, in the old Ifish you could not even post in the classified unless you had so many posts.
It sounds like, in this case, they were able to circumvent that requirement by simply saying "Hey, I know a guy. And then start to communicate in a private conversation. Kind of beating the system. :-(

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had one person PM about so and so having an item for sale.

Gave a phone number, and a username. I couldn't locate the username and the person emailing never posted to the site and hadn't been registered for a few days.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Scary crap. Thanks for the heads up. Like Dave said the grace period would help a little I suspect. Sad what things are coming to.
Sorry for your experience Bill.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sorry for the hassle and thanks for bringing to our attention. One more thing about Paypal, if you tell someone that you'll pay the extra 3.5 % fee to not use F&F's and they object, run away. There's is no good reason that someone won't accept that.
This WTB scam is rampant on the watch sales forums, as well.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
there is a sucker born every minute. all it takes is to offer a good deal.

never give or send money to someone you dont know. or at least have spoken to and verify they are real and have a proper phone number and address.
and never send money you cant stop payment on.

and sending friends and family for items is basically cheating paypal out of their fee. so you really deserve to get taken as you were part of a scam which was working both ways.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
there is a sucker born every minute. all it takes is to offer a good deal.

never give or send money to someone you dont know. or at least have spoken to and verify they are real and have a proper phone number and address.
and never send money you cant stop payment on.

and sending friends and family for items is basically cheating paypal out of their fee. so you really deserve to get taken as you were part of a scam which was working both ways.
And your reply and comments belong in a garbage can. Very insulting to the OP and inappropriate. Go away .....

1 - 20 of 93 Posts