IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you want to bet that someone required a major underwear check? :bigshock: From the stories I have read there wasn’t any kind of bore obstruction and they attributed it to bad barrel steel. Pretty scary regardless of the cause! If this doesn’t make you wear your safety glasses :cool: and ear plugs I don’t know what will.

Not to mention that this was a $10,000.00 AI 50BMG rifle. :smash:

·
Registered
16,374 Posts
Put that above the mantle, what a conversation piece, that is if you can still talk! :angel:

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Well they can SAY there wasn't a bore obstruction all they want.

But hey, [email protected]@K at the pic there!

The bullet had to be up close to the forward end of where you see those splits at the front! There's no other reason they would propogate forward like that with the huge bulge in the mid-section of the barrel!

On any smokeless powder rifle, the powder reaches it's max pressure in the rear 20% of the barrel. The .50 BMG rounds use some of the slowest burning powders around, so we'll say they generate their max pressure in the rear 30% of the barrel for the sake of this discussion.

So it looks like the bullet was toward the front 1/3 of the barrel when it let go. This is clearly where the bullet is normally almost "coasting" pressure-wise.

To slow the bullet enough for the pressure to build up this way, I'd say something was in front of it, slowing it down or blocking its path. :idea:

This could even be a portion of the NECK of the previously fired round.

On big straight walled cases I've seen 1/2 of the case travel down the barrel, still attached to the bullet then get left in the last few inches of the barrel. Strange things happen...especially if you fire another shot after that! :help:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Mental note: Next time when shooting lightly armored vehicles. Do not, repeat, do not press barrel up against said vehicle! When the manual states "stand off" distances - it does not mean to stand directly off from a target(also remember to slap Spotter and never listen to him again).

·
Registered
24,013 Posts
i count over 24 emptys laying there, and by the way the barrel failed i would say it failed in the first 30% of the barrel, with the fluting in the barrel causing the bannana peal effect.24 50bmg shoot fast would give you a real hot barrel.

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Makes my little Nova incident look like nuttin'. I've posted this before, but in case some haven't seen it, this is what happened to me a couple years ago while duck hunting on Sauvie Island. BTW - it was extremely loud. I was wearing ear plugs and my ears still rung. I couldn't imagine what the one above sounded like.

CrF

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
i count over 24 emptys laying there, and by the way the barrel failed i would say it failed in the first 30% of the barrel, with the fluting in the barrel causing the bannana peal effect.24 50bmg shoot fast would give you a real hot barrel.
I disagree! (We're both entitled to our own opinions).

If the barrel had failed in the 1st 30% of its length you'd see a burst barrel, just like the shotgun shown below, but closer to the chamber!

It took an incredible amount of energy to cause that bulge in the MIDDLE of the barrel like that. IMHO the bullet had to be in FRONT of that bulge! You're talking about an incredible amount of pressure and force to cause that bulge, and there would be nothing in front of the bullet to cause that.

Usually, by the time the bullet has reached mid-barrel, the pressures have dropped off dramatically.

As far as the 24 rounds and the barrel getting hot. Yes, I'm sure it got VERY hot, but there's no indication about how FAST those 24 rounds were fired. There could have been a 30 second or a 2 minute wait in between each shot, we don't know. And even fired "rapid fire", say 10 seconds between shots, that's NOTHING like the rate that a M2 fires full auto!

Even so a barrel heated like that will have both its I.D. and its O.D. EXPAND, making it a loser bullet to barrel fit, not tighter. That's not inherently "dangerous" in itself.

An overheated barrel, in the sense that an M2 barrel can get overheated, just adds to wearing out the barrel, "burning it up", and even barrel sagging in extreme cases. But they actually get "red hot" and glow when they get that hot!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Supposedly this is one of two or three Accuracy International 50 cals that experienced catastrophic failure during British Military testing and evaluation. The cause was attributed to too high a sulfur content in the barrel steel. I have been looking for any kind of official documentation on this (you know how the internet can be), but regardless of the cause it had to hurt. Whether related or not, the company that made this rifle is now in receivership.

Here are a couple of pics that I stumbled upon of Sako rifles that have had some “problems” with metallurgy. If you have a Sako rifle I would be checking up on the recall that they have regarding this kind of failure. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about this too.

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
Yanno,
Me and my hunting/shooting buddies have been shooting for over 30 years, and some of them were less than "careful" about what they did. Nothing like this ever happened...nothing. We've shot a bizzilion rounds with both factory and God knows what kinds of hand loads, and with all kinds of guns. Some of us were very careful about handloading, and others seemed to think not. The ones who thought not never to be careful were lucky to not have a problem. I can only think of one round that I primered backwards. It would have been a miss-fire in any case.

Wow! Something bad happened there, and who's to know what...?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
That is some real ugly stuff. That "would" make a guy have a underwear problem. Yikes ! Sure makes me want to go kiss my 10/22 :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the post !

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I have 2 friends, both of whom witnessed gun blow up accidents out at Tri-County Gun Club during their Annual Sight In Days a couple of weeks before Deer Season starts. One friend was helping as a Range Officer.

Both incidents happened on seperate days, but both were caused by similar lack of attention by the shooters.

I don't remember the exact rounds that were involved in one of the incidents anymore, but it seems like with the other it went something like this...

One of the guys out there shooting was the "Big Kahuna". He was organizing everything for some of his less shooting savvy friends. So they had all these guns out and he was sighting in various guns for them, one after another. The big NO NO was that they had DIFFERENT boxes of factory ammo out on the same bench at the same time. And it was in various calibers!

Well "Mr. Big" went to sight in one rifle and squeezed off a shot and there was a very different sounding loud "bang". Everybody on the firing line stopped and turned to see what the noise was. Mr. Big sat there for a moment, then slowly moved off ths shooting stool and lay down on the deck next to the shooting bench. It was like he was in shock (he probably was!). What was left of the rifle was most of the barrel and action, but part of the floorplate and forward part of the stock were GONE! The barrel was burst, right at the chamber and a chunk of the action was missing. The shooter's hand was pretty badly torn up, no fingers missing or anything, but still a mess. His arm had several puncture wounds in it and resulting shrapnel. His face and especially his forehead were peppered with small shrapnel wounds. He was awake and semi-coherent, but not certain of what had happened to him.

After an ambulance had been called some of the Range Officers and helpers tried to determine what had gone wrong.

Looking closely at the variety of ammo on the bench and checking what was left of the rifle. They discovered that a .308 Winchester round had been chambered in a .270 Winchester caliber rifle!

I don't remember the 2 different calibers of the second incident my other friend witnessed, but it was almost the identical scenario, a larger diameter, but shorter .308 length cartridge was chambered in a smaller caliber but .30-06 length cartridge rifle. All the brass was of the same "parent" size O.D. and this is easily possible to do when someone grabs the wrong cartridge.

A little brain fade and carelessness can go a long way when shooting allowing some really bad things to happen! :smash:

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
I have 2 friends, both of whom witnessed gun blow up accidents out at Tri-County Gun Club during their Annual Sight In Days a couple of weeks before Deer Season starts. One friend was helping as a Range Officer.

The big NO NO was that they had DIFFERENT boxes of factory ammo out on the same bench at the same time. And it was in various calibers!

I don't remember the 2 different calibers of the second incident my other friend witnessed, but it was almost the identical scenario, a larger diameter, but shorter .308 length cartridge was chambered in a smaller caliber but .30-06 length cartridge rifle. All the brass was of the same "parent" size O.D. and this is easily possible to do when someone grabs the wrong cartridge.

A little brain fade and carelessness can go a long way when shooting allowing some really bad things to happen! :smash:
When we have our safety session before shooting that is something the assistor is supposed to do is inspect the ammo and only allow one box on the bench at a time. You also supposed to inspect the bore and the proper operation of the safety and action. Sounds like someone missed something.

I missed site in days this year due to other commitments - I'm sure we will get a whole ne sense of urgency next year - I think I'll pull targets in the pits.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
[quoteWhen we have our safety session before shooting that is something the assistor is supposed to do is inspect the ammo and only allow one box on the bench at a time. You also supposed to inspect the bore and the proper operation of the safety and action. Sounds like someone missed something.

I missed site in days this year due to other commitments - I'm sure we will get a whole ne sense of urgency next year - I think I'll pull targets in the pits.

[/quote]

This happened out at TCGC, but it was quite a while ago. I think the place is "totally different" in how many things take place out there now.

I know the ranges are sure changed around!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts