IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is from the boat launch at Lyle. Is there a logical, reasonable explanation why these fish would be dumped on the boat launch? Or is this what happens when the nets don't get checked as often as they should? Hope there is a legitimate reason, but it almost looks as though this is a petunia you message, because there aren't any consequences or accountability. I counted 14 salmon, 1 sturgeon and 2 steelhead. Pretty sure these fish were not recreational catch. The steelhead had been gutted...

Attachments

· Registered
574 Posts
Used to see the same thing in early 90s on lower Chehalis when buyers would reject fish that were too soft or hadn’t been iced adequately. I was given a few to smoke by the fisherman who caught them, otherwise they would have been dumped too. Technically I was the one breaking the law by taking them home. SMH.

· Registered
2,701 Posts
There were quite a few dead salmon near the boat launch at Stevenson last weekend as well. I thought maybe they had just died but perhaps they were dumped. I also so one salmon swimming around that had net scars on it (and looking really beat up).

· Registered
34 Posts
All gill nets, Tribal and White need banned off the Columbia before we have no diversity in fish stocks, and no fish period. The gillnets have drove steelhead (non-harvested by gill netss? What a joke!).. Negotiations with the Tribes and there are several ways they could get their fish without ruining the fish they get in their nets. Whites aren't any better because it is the past 50 years of plunder the fish stocks they instituted that has brought us to the sad state of affairs our salmon/steelhead are at now. The new gill netting rules are like a bandage on two broken legs. Gillnets over the past 100 years have decimated certain rivers and native stocks there is no denial only deniers. Gillnets got to go, like yesterday would have not been to soon.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
If that came from sporty's, there would be hell to pay...but this will turn into a big nothingburger
The Odfw does this at most of its hatcheries every year and few say a word about it. They kill thousands of fish and throw many of the carcasas back in the river for "nutrients". Not to mention all the sport guys that kill wild Fall Chinook just for the eggs...

· Premium Member
906 Posts
Highly unlikely these fish were processed by a hatchery and returned to the river. Wrong time of the year, wrong mix of species, wrong process marks on the fish.
The Odfw does this at most of its hatcheries every year and few say a word about it. They kill thousands of fish and throw many of the carcasas back in the river for "nutrients". Not to mention all the sport guys that kill wild Fall Chinook just for the eggs...

· Registered
1,570 Posts
Used to see the same thing in early 90s on lower Chehalis when buyers would reject fish that were too soft or hadn’t been iced adequately. SMH.
Not the first time this has happened at the mouth of the Klickitat. When nets are set and not attended regularly no fish buyer is going to give them a dime for a dead fish that's been hanging in 70-degree water for days.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Watched guys checking there nets while fishing a secret spot below bridge of the gods a few weeks ago, dump about 5 nice big bright dead bloated kings right back in the river to float away...it was obvious they didnt check that net for many hours. This happens every year but people are too afraid to say anything. Same thing happens to commercial netters but they do it in the dead of night but nobody sees it.... truth hurts.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
This is from the boat launch at Lyle. Is there a logical, reasonable explanation why these fish would be dumped on the boat launch? Or is this what happens when the nets don't get checked as often as they should? Hope there is a legitimate reason, but it almost looks as though this is a petunia you message, because there aren't any consequences or accountability. I counted 14 salmon, 1 sturgeon and 2 steelhead. Pretty sure these fish were not recreational catch. The steelhead had been gutted...
What is your opinion on this Mr. Monroe ?

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Watched guys checking there nets while fishing a secret spot below bridge of the gods a few weeks ago, dump about 5 nice big bright dead bloated kings right back in the river to float away...it was obvious they didnt check that net for many hours. This happens every year but people are too afraid to say anything. Same thing happens to commercial netters but they do it in the dead of night but nobody sees it.... truth hurts.
I hope that one day I see it happen , and then something very different will happen.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
I hope that one day I see it happen , and then something very different will happen.
Fish in gorge and you will see it happen .... it happens ever year.... or just hang out at the locks there is floaters right next to the launch. People who are suppose to be in charge won't do a darn thing...tell a Leo and they just shrug cause they have no authority, I know this cause I've told them. Heck go to drano when the netters do cleanup in October. There is 1518% chance you will see.

· Registered
2,196 Posts
Sure.

Choice A, report it. CRITFC couldn't care less.

Choice B, ........gets you in more trouble with the FEDs then you would ever want.

IMO they can do whatever they want with their 50%. I just wish the wastage was counted against their total. Maybe they report it.😆

1 - 20 of 42 Posts